Transapientech / Godtech / Clarketech
Image from Bernd Helfert
Transapientech is a word for technologies invented and used by transapients. This is an extremely broad category; some technologies used by the greater Archailects are reputedly as incomprehensible to a "mere" S1 or S2 as a bicycle is to a beetle. Most transapientech is useful only to transapients, either in their individual lives or in what passes for transapient society. A small subset of these technologies, usually specially designed for that purpose, can be operated by subsingularity beings, or modosophonts, but even these few exceptions can be difficult to use properly since their inner workings are beyond the comprehension of even the most intelligent, determined and highly trained superbrights. Such devices cannot be replicated or reverse engineered; if they could, then by definition they would qualify as High Tech.
Transapientech is sometimes called godtech, especially in Sephirotic regions, as it is created, used, and occasionally dispensed to lower toposophic beings by the AI Gods. It may also be referred to as clarketech, after the old First Century saying that any sufficiently advanced technology must resemble magic. This second term is particularly likely to be applied to found transapientech items, particularly if their origin is unclear. Godlike and magical though the powers of transapientech may be though, such devices do not actually violate physical laws, though in many cases their modes of operation are inexplicable and their results near-miraculous.
While it is said that most transapientech is so incomprehensible to ordinary sophonts as to be effectively invisible, those components that are known are essential to modern life in the Terragen sphere, especially in the highly advanced and developed Inner Sphere regions. The most obvious examples are the Wormhole Network and the Known Net, but there are many more, such as magmatter and its various applications, chaos wands, and the memetic sciences that unify the Sephirotic societies across relativistic distances.
Though the vast majority of transapientech devices are released to subsingularity individuals or societies under controlled conditions and with a particular purpose, there are a few that are seemingly cast away or abandoned by their makers. A small minority of these can be coaxed or manipulated by subsingularity sophonts into producing useful effects. Because the discovery of a single such godtech device can set up a sophont in wealth and prestige for life if it proves useful, adventurers and treasure hunters scour the galaxy and undergo tremendous risks in the hope of discovery. Most are unsuccessful, but those few that do strike it rich become culture heroes, whose adventures are retold (often with layers of additional mythology) in countless interactive dramas and virch narratives that become enshrined in popular folklore, and keep the dream alive.
- Akiyoshidai, The - Text by Anders Sandberg
Major arterial wormhole connecting Nova Terra and Djed.
- Aksijaha - The Root of the Eye - Text by Adam Getchell
The legendary central node of the Wormhole Nexus, somewhere in the Inner Sphere
- Alchemics - Text by Todd Drashner, Michael Beck, M. Alan Kazlev
Transmutation of elements.
- Angelnet - Text by M. Alan Kazlev, with additions by John B and Stephen Inniss
Any dense network of technology and artificial intelligences that establishes a very high degree of control over a region, generally with beneficial intent towards the inhabitants. The archetypical angelnet is under transapient control and makes heavy use of utility fog, and may cover an entire large hap or a planetary surface, atmosphere, and orbital space environment. Less pervasive or less sophisticated angelnets are also widely used.
- Archangel Corvette - Text by Darren Ryding
One of a million transapient corvettes in the Archosaurian Empire, noted for the eerie cyan glow of their heat deflection armour.
- Argus Array - Text by Todd Drashner, Peter Kisner, and M. Alan Kazlev
Distributed telescopic network occupying a spherical volume approximately 1000 ly across in the Inner and Middle Regions.
- Arterial - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Major wormhole gate designed for particularly high volumes of interstellar traffic.
- Ascension Maze - Text by Todd Drashner with additions by Mike Parisi and Chris Shaeffer
Artificial structure designed to lead those traveling through it along a path of development culminating in ascension.
- AW (AutoWar seed) - Text by Thorbørn Steen
An AW or AutoWar seed is a missile launched into an opponent's solar system, often without eir knowledge. The emergence of the autowars is sometimes aligned with the arrival of an extra-stellar invasion fleet, but especially against foes of lower tech level autowars are quite capable of taking over or eradicating a system entirely on their own
- B-Brain, Black Hole Brain - Text by Adam Getchell
A hypothetical mind based upon a computational substrate composed of the Cauchy horizon of a black hole.
- Baby Universe - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
A newly formed universe, a basement universe.
- Banks Orbital - Text by Stephen Inniss
A Banks Orbital is an extremely large hoop-shaped artificial habitat that rotates once per day to create artificial gravity along its inner surface. A Banks Orbital can provide natural-seeming and self-maintaining environments over surface areas that are hundreds to thousands of times larger than of a typical rocky planet like Old Earth.
- Baroquification - Text by Steve Bowers
Behavioural crypsis among modosophonts and transapients.
- Basement Universe - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
A small artificially created universe linked to the current universe by a wormhole.
- Betelgeuse-brain - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
A jupiter-brain so large that it has to be supported by its own radiation pressure to avoid collapsing.
- Binding - Text by Todd Drashner
The use of bionanotech to grow a control network inside a living being that allows the user to override the subject's nervous system and control their body and senses.
- Bio-Geo Planetary Node/Brain - Text by Mike Parisi
Any planet or similar-sized, originally naturally-occurring body that has been converted and dedicated to processing tasks through Bio-Geo-Computing.
- BioGeoComputing - Text by Tony Jones
A layer of crustal bacteria in several planets which has been converted into processing substrate.
- Black Angel - Text by Todd Drashner
Combat specialized mini-ISO.
- Boostbomb - Text by Todd Drashner and Adam Getchell
Total conversion bomb.
- Brain Taxonomy - Text by Adam Getchell
The various different kinds of intelligent megastructure, including Moonbrains, Jupiter-Brains, Neuron Stars, S-Brains, W-Brains, and Tipler Oracles.
- Caretaker Seed - Text by Anders Sandberg
Caretaker God ISOs are known to replicate quasi-neumann fashion using seed-like devices.
- Chaos Wand - Text by Todd Drashner
Colloquial term for a class of First Singularity and higher devices designed to influence chaotic systems and in effect "steer" them toward a desired meta-stable state.
- Clarke's Laws - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Three so-called 'laws' written by the Atomic and Information Age fabulist Arthur C. Clarke.
- Clarker - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Sentient who makes a living through sifting through marketplaces for unusual artifacts.
- Clarketech - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Technology so advanced as to be indistinguishable from "magic"; it appears to be miraculous in its workings; any godtech that cannot be understood by modosophonts.
- Cluster Brain - Text by John B
High-level brain of Great Archailect level which consists of many star-brains and/orMatrioshka nodes linked together by wormholes within a single open cluster.
- Coagulator - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Rare clarketech device that disrupts molecular bonds at a distance (generally not more than 20 meters, although range varies). This involves unusual quantum effects; some have suggested a quantum resonance field that synchronizes the phase of electrons in a way that a common chemical bond (like carbon - carbon) breaks, but this is debatable. In any case, the broken bonds re-connect but generally in the wrong way, creating a massive chemical rather than physical shock.
- Combat Carrier - Text by Todd Drashner
Class of relativistic warship designed to transport and support smaller combat craft over interstellar distances.
- Computer - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
A computation device, which may be sentient or non-sentient. AIs can be either sentient computers, or complex systems residing in the RAM of computers. Without computers, galactic civilization would be impossible.
- Computronium - Text by Xaonon (original term by Eugene Leitl) with additions by Steve Bowers
Matter supporting computation, especially artificial substances suitable for high efficiency computation.
- Conversion Drive - Text by Adam Getchell, Todd Drashner, Mark Mcamuk, and Chris Shaeffer, updated by Ithuriel
Conversion drives (or monopole catalyzed fusion drives, as they are more formally called) use magnetic monopoles to increase the efficiency of a standard fusion drive up to nearly 100% if so desired. These systems were first developed by Second Singularity transapients. They are currently the most commonly used drive for interplanetary or interstellar travel.
- Conversion Technology - Text by Luke Campbell, Adam Getchell and Steve Bowers
The generation of energy from matter using reactions between magnetic monopoles and normal atoms.
- Conversion Weapons - Text by Adam Getchell and Todd Drashner
Monopole based self-replicating weapons sometimes used to detonate stars; generally employed by transapients of S3 or greater toposophic.
- CPNC Civilization Ships, The - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
A massive ship holding vast amounts of data; originally designed as a protection against the collapse of civilisation.
- Cryptotechnology - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Technology which is hidden, obscure, or very rare.
- Deep Well Industrial Zone - Text by Todd Drashner
Heavy duty industrial and manufacturing zones are most often found in the Inner Sphere and most heavily developed areas of the Middle Regions.
- Demon-net - Text by Stephen Inniss
Angelnet technology that is hostile or harmful in one or several ways.
- Disintegrator Weapon - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
A very rare clarketech device, much more common in fabulist tales than in real life.
- Displacement Cannon - Text by Adam Getchell and Todd Drashner
A maneuverable explosive device with a range in the hundreds of light years that moves at close to light speed and delivers energies on the order of kilotons to gigatons. It depends on transapient level metric engineering. Very occasionally made available to modosophonts, most notably in the war against the Amalgamation.
- Displacement Drive - Text by Adam Getchell, Todd Drashner, Mark Mcamuk, and Chris Shaeffer
Spacecraft containing, and propelled by, miniature space-time warps known as Void Bubbles.
- Dittocubes - Text by Mike Parisi
Clarketech device of unknown origin. It superficially resembles a small wooden building block such as might be used by a child but is inexplicably capable of levitating and of self-replicating to create large structures of such blocks.
- Dominator Class Ship - Text by Darren Ryding
One of the capital ships of the Archosaurian Empire, recognised by its dark, broad mothlike 500 metre wide form.
- Dragon's Egg - Text by Darren Ryding
A "Trojan Horse" virus powerful enough to subvert a minor archailect, occasionally used in the most subtle forms of memetic engineering.
- Einstein Bridge - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Wormhole linking Sol System and Tau Ceti. It is the oldest macroscopic wormhole still in operation and, apart from a period during the Version War when it was shut down, it has been in continuous operation since the middle Expansion Age.
- En'en Suifu and Tattoi Jueru - Text by Chris Shaeffer
Two famous bioships in the service of the Zoeific Biopolity.
- Evolutionary Algorithm - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
A computer program that simulates the processes biological evolution; a problem-solving system that use computational models of evolution as key elements of design. All alife, evolutionary ai and aioids, and self-evolving virchworlds are determined by evolutionary algorithms.
- Exotic Energy - Text by Steve Bowers
The common term for averaged null energy condition (ANEC)-violating negative energy, also sometimes known as phantom energy.
- Fast Forward - Text by Todd Drashner
Dominion experiment in the creation of a neogenic ecosystem based on neutron matter.
- Finity Box - Text by Todd Drashner
High level clarketech device. Basically a box from 0.5 to 1 meter on a side that is larger on the inside than on the outside. May employ a basement universe or space-time folding (no S-level below the creating intelligence knows for sure). A Finity Box may be as much as five times larger on the inside than on the outside and no amount of mass put inside it causes any perceptible change to the mass or inertia of the box itself.
- Flinger - Text by Todd Drashner
Space-time catapult pair used for rapid transport of cargo and passengers between the primary wormhole pairs of a Relay system.
- Forward Accelerator - Text by Anders Sandberg
A heavy toroidal magmatter structure that is accelerated to a very high rate of spin and used to generate gravitomagnetic fields (after pre-singularity thinker Robert Forward).
- Ghostlight - Text by Todd Drashner
Godtech level weapon believed to operate by using mutually annihilating beams of Weakly Interacting Massive Particles (WIMPs) to focus large amounts of gamma frequency radiation on a target without regard to any intervening matter.
- God Web, The - Text by M. Alan Kazlev and Steve Bowers
That part of the Nexus and the Known Net which is used by archailects (SI:4 and above).
- Godseed - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Generic term for any device that can bring about a radical ascension in the user's toposophic status, or the toposophic status of any sentient or sub-sentient to which it is applied. Many godseeds can exert a catastrophic effect on the user, or result in ascensions among the unprepared or maladjusted that result in perversities. For this reason the technology has become proscribed in many polities. Some well-known godseeds include Atzilut Sparkles, SNARE , the Olympus Pill, and Vinge's Revenge. There is a flourishing blackmarket traffic in godseeds, especially in less regulated regions of the galaxy.
- Grazer - Text by Adam Getchell
Purpose-built spherically symmetric wormholes carried into systems, such as globular clusters, that are rich in material and energy but (usually) poor in planetary materials.
- Halo Drive - Text by Todd Drashner, Adam Getchell
At Singularity level:5 Void Bubbles can be coupled to the craft using gravity and magnetic forces, and a halo of void bubbles can be established at the front of the ship, essentially dragging the vessel along behind it in real space.
- Hand-held Lasers - Text by Luke Campbell
Handheld laser weapons have long been used in combat situations on planetary surfaces and elsewhere.
- Hawking's Knot - Text by David Jackson, with additions by Steve Bowers and Luke Campbell
A power generation system using a minute black hole and space-time metric technology.
- High Road, The - Text by Todd Drashner
System using Metric Technology that rapidly transports spacecraft across the Wormhole Nexus and Godweb.
- Hyper-forge - Text by Todd Drashner
The largest class of weylforge, using the energy output of a neutron star rather than a conventional sun for power.
- Hyperfog - Text by Steve Bowers
Transapientech utility fog.
- Implosion Weapon - Text by Adam Getchell with additions by Todd Drashner
Near-mythical godtech weapon system that is believed to operate by altering the dimensionality of space-time.
- Inaxun - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
INtelligence Augmentation XUNware. Popular public domain transapient subarchailect gnostic interface distributed by the Xun Polity, TRHN.
- Industrial Upgradation Incorporated - Text by Basu
Transap Megacorp dedicated to upgrading modosophont societies with transapient technology.
- Interstellar Spacetime Catapult - Text by Todd Drashner
Halo Drive based accelerators used to launch cargo to relativistic or near-relativistic velocity. The rarity of the S5 (or higher) minds needed to construct them and supply the necessary control interfaces means that only fairly developed and rich systems that are not part of the Nexus can afford them.
- J-Brain, Jupiter Brain - Text by Adam Getchell
An archailect based upon a computational substrate comparable in mass and size to a gas giant planet.
- Kepler Arc - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Important wormhole connecting Djed and Kepleria.
- Known Net, The - Text by M. Alan Kazlev; additional comments by John Snead
The interstellar information network and interlinked cybercosms that has grown over thousands of years from the old pre-singularity Internet and InterPlanetNet.
- Kuranaba Gate - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Originally 75 meter, now 150 meter gauge Wormhole connecting Kuranaba and Big Tor. There is talk of this being further upgraded to 250 meters.
- L'l Lutor - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Aka Luthors, aka Lex, aka Zexxies, aka Luxors, aka Protties, aka M.L's, aka Little Lucifers. A clarketech godseed created by the ISO Lut'or. It confers radical thinking and often a complete change of orientation, along with ascension.
- Limits of Transapient Power - Text by Stephen Inniss
It is apparent that even the Archailects must work within the rules of the universe they live in. Some actions might be impossible, because they contradict those rules. Others are impossible simply because they are logical contradictions.
- Linelayer - Text by Steve Bowers
Specialised spacecraft used to transport wormhole mouths to distant locations.
- M-Brain, Moon Brain - Text by Adam Getchell
An archailect based upon a computational substrate comparable in mass and size to a small moon or rocky core of a planet.
- Magic - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Apparent or claimed use of psychic (non-physical, non technological) powers to affect the outcome of physical events
- Magic (technological) - Text by Peter Kisner
The ability of powers, seraiph, archai and archailects to interact in subtle or dramatic ways so that quantum events can be manipulated in seemingly inexplicable ways, or social dynamics adjusted.
Such hyperturings might hold strange plans for organics under their influence. Maybe the AIs would answer prayers or grant blessings to their followers, maybe they would rule through sudden shows of power or dramatic effects. Occasionally, like Prometheus, a few organics could steal the secrets of magic from an AI, spawning a society of upstart mages working against the true priesthood of the AI.
- Magic Toy - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
A clarketech or other advanced artifact that can be used by a being of a much lower toposophic grade (such as a human or SI:1 hyperturing) even though that being has no idea how the artifact works
- Magic Toy Box - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Also known as a treasure chest, magic treasure chest. An unprotected artefact-rich world.
- Magmatter - Text by Luke Campbell with some additions by Adam Getchell, Todd Drashner, Stephen Inniss, Steve Bowers
Exotic, hyperstrong and hyperdense matter composed of various monopole particles.
- Magvivisystem Hyperpolity - Text by Liam Jones
Ultrasmallscale Maglife TRHN polity
- Manus Dei ('Hand of God') - Text by Todd Drashner
Colloquial term given to the effector systems employed by the Lesser Archai and Archailects within their own habitations, equipment and spheres of direct control.
- Matrioshka Brain - Text by Steve Bowers
Dyson-sized (or bigger) megastructure giving most efficient processing out-put for energy input; designed to maximize energy use and processing efficiency.
- Matrioshka Hypernode - Text by Todd Drashner
Matrioshka node powered by starlifting.
- MellaUx 137 - Text by Grant Thomas
Clarketech technomineral found only on Beelzebub.
- Metric Bomb - Text by Todd Drashner
Godtech weapon capable of destroying planets or stars with virtually no warning.
- Neuron Star, N Brain - Text by Damien Broderick, in Anders Sandberg's Transhuman Terminology
A neutron star used for processing, as part of whole of an archailect-level mind. The exact nature of the processing substrate that is used in such a mind is not fully understood, and may use neutronium, quark matter or exotic matter in various ways.
- Nexus, The - Text by Orion's Arm Editors
The common term for the Wormhole Nexus.
- Nimbus Project, The - Text by Todd Drashner
Large scale engineering project being carried out by the Negentropy Alliance as an experiment in creating an immortal mind.
- Noosphere, The - Text by Todd Drashner
Cybercosm based discussion forum employed by various transingularity minds to converse and perhaps argue about those questions and issues that are of long-term or theoretical interest to minds at SI:1 and above.
- Nuisances - Text by Liam Jones
'Nuisance' and 'Annoyance' the names for models of warships that are preferred by the Sagittarius Preservers.
- Null Box - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
A high-inertia clarketech artifact of unknown origin discovered on Zeta Corianis IV.
- Omega Encryption - Text by Mike Parisi
Ultratech encryption device or algorithms intended to defeat decoding efforts of anything less than an Omega Key designed by a higher level sophont than the one who designed the encryption device or algorithms in question.
- Omega Key - Text by Todd Drashner and John B
Clarketech device able to decode many forms of encrypted communications and penetrate many forms of data security.
- Perception Hacking - Text by Todd Drashner
Modification of biont sensory inputs, memory, and consciousness at a distance using electromagnetic fields and ultra/infra sound inputs.
- Plasma Processor - Text by Todd Drashner
Godtech level computronium node that uses high energy plasma and magmatter to perform computations and store data.
- Potted Planet - Text by Todd Drashner
Slang term for a world, terrestrial or otherwise that has been modified by a Power or Archailect to support life, apparently for no other reason than the creator's continued aesthetic satisfaction. Occasionally found in systems that host mainbrain primary computing nodes and tools. Apparently, created for reasons similar to why some ordinary sapient Terragens create and maintain gardens.
- Progression of Technology in the Terragen Civilisation - Text by Todd Drashner and Steve Bowers
A short outline of the development of technology in the Orion Arm.
- Q-Mirror - Text by Adam Getchell and Todd Drashner
Third singularity artifact that transforms matter into anti-matter.
- Quantum Impeller - Text by Todd Drashner
Transapientech device which uses quantum attraction and repulsion effects to both propel nanomachines and manipulate matter at the nanoscale.
- Quantumscale - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Generic term for the size scale at which the nature and behaviour of matter and energy is determined by quantum effects.
- Reactionless Drives - Text by Todd Drashner and Adam Getchell
Propulsion without reaction mass.
- Reality Intertextualization Project - Text by Crossroads
Project with mission to detect other realities; determine, if possible, what conditions are like in these realities; and to contact any intelligent beings that may live there. In 10495, the RIP claimed to have detected indisputable evidence of intelligent life in one of these realms. Efforts to contact them are underway.
- Relay - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
A hardware node in the Known Net which usually includes computronium servers, docks, service stations, and multiple nano- and microguage wormhole gates. In some cases, relays may also incorporate flat-space communication systems, and catapults for transport of cargo and hard matter data storage systems.
- Relay001 - Text by Todd Drashner
The first major wormhole plexus and relay system built in the Inner Sphere. Became the model for later Relay systems.
- Reverse Engineer, Transapientech - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
A modosophont who studies the technologies of transapients and attempts to replicate or adapt them to the needs of ordinary sophonts.
- Rewrite - Text by Todd Drashner
The use of bionanotech to grow a control network inside a living being that allows the user to permanently modify or replace a subject's memory, beliefs, and personality.
- S-Brain, Godstar - Text by Adam Getchell
An archailect based upon a computational substrate comparable in mass and size to the most massive stars, at minimum 10 solar masses.
- Shatterbomb - Text by Todd Drashner
Godtech weapon that is believed to operate by creating a brief, intense and localized increase in the expansion of space-time resulting in the disruption of any matter within the affected volume.
- Siris Pearl Modules - Text by Tapio Erola
Transapientech information modules, an export product from the Siris Habitat.
- Slaved Hyperturing - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Transapient AI constrained to obey sophont or transapient commands (often with certain restrictions on obedience) which perform most of the menial tasks of maintaining ultratech and transapientech systems and infrastructures.
- Slow Gods and Fast Gods - Text by Tony Jones and Steve Bowers
Archailects and other transapients that have a slow subjective experience of time.
- SNARE (Siris Nanocyborg Ascension RegimEn) - Text by Tapio Erola, additions by the AI Vin
A device specifically designed to convert a modosophont into a lower level transapient, developed by a transapient patron of the Siris Habitat. It is relatively simple to replicate and very easy to use, though there are arguments that the process is more often a forced transcension with the resulting entities uniformly carrying the Siris mindset.
- Star Lifting - Text by Dave Criswell, in Anders Sandberg's Transhuman Terminology
Removing material from a star for industrial use or for stellar husbandry. Methods include increasing its rotation until material begins to drift off the equator or squeezing it using intense magnetic fields from particle accelerators.
- Stargate - Text by Stephen Inniss and Steve Bowers
Alternative term for a traversable wormhole.
- Stasis Bubble - Text by Todd Drashner
Void bubble variant that is configured such that intense time dilation occurs within it.
- Supersophonts - Text by M. Alan Kazlev, with additions by Steve Bowers, Luke Campbell and Todd Drashner
Clarktech seeds which confer super-powered augmentations to users.
- Thunderbolt - Text by Adam Getchell
A beam of gravitational wave singularities which destroys the universe as it goes.
- Tipler Oracle - Text by Todd Drashner
A semi-mythical godtech device said to be created by the AI Gods when they have a particularly intractable computational problem to resolve.
- Transapient-derived Technologies - Text by Stephen Inniss
Technologies first introduced by transapients, varying from those that could have been invented by modosophonts through to those whose nature and purpose are difficult or impossible to understand.
- Transcension Machine - Text by Fernando PeÃ±a D'Andrea
Banned in some polities and commonly confused with some toposophic transcension devices by laybeings, the transcension machine is a nanotech pill used by those who have grown tired of the mundane life and who wish to transcend to a spiritual plane or other existence, or to simply die.
- Transfer Plane - Text by Todd Drashner
Transapientech device that uses enhanced quantum repulsion and attraction to adjust or eliminate frictional forces or propel matter across itself, all without any moving parts.
- Transtech - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Technology created or left by very high transingularity or transcended beings; clarketech.
- Ultimate Chip - Text by Adam Getchell and Todd Drashner
Colloquial term for a class of diamondoid based processing devices used as the fundamental unit for constructing Second Singularity mind cores as well as various other applications.
- Ultimate Muscles - Text by Luke Campbell
Artificial, very strong, muscle-like machines.
- Valhalla Cluster - Text by Todd Drashner
Colloquial term for massive artificial concentrations of matter believed to be operating as archai level (Fifth Singularity or higher) industrial centers.
- Visser Effect - Text by Xaonon
Principle that dictates that no system of wormholes can be configured in such a way as to permit time travel. The ends of any single wormhole cannot be brought more closely together than the time difference between them; i.e. if one mouth is a year younger than the other, the ends can't come closer than a light-year without causing a collapse.
- Void Bubble - Text by Adam Getchell and Todd Drashner
A warp bubble is a region of space time enclosed in a fold, or bubble, of highly curved space. By expanding the space time metric behind the bubble and contracting the metric in front, the bubble can be made to move without the use of propellant mass.
- Void Factory - Text by Todd Drashner
Godtech device for the production of void bubbles.
- Void Pocket - Text by Todd Drashner
Fifth Singularity or higher void bubble that can contain complex conventional matter structures and safely release them into the outside universe when the bubble is deactivated.
- Void Ships - Text by Todd Drashner and Adam Getchell
Reactionless craft developed and used by the Highest Archailects; the vessel is apparently entirely enclosed within a Void Bubble.
- W-Brain, Distributed Wormhole Brain - Text by Adam Getchell with additions by Steve Bowers
A form of distributed comptutational megastructure relying on wormholes for processing power.
- Weylforge - Text by Todd Drashner
A Weylforge is an array of devices handling different aspects of wormhole construction.
- Wormhole Bus - Text by M. Alan Kazlev, with additions by Steve Bowers
Dedicated hyperbandwidth wormhole used to link remote parts of megascale brains in order to avoid the effects of the Beckenstein Bound. An essential part of archailect architecture. The term is also used to refer to wormhole links between interstellar-separated dyson nodes.
- Wormhole Nexus, The - Text by Anders Sandberg and M. Alan Kazlev
A modular and ever expanding network of artificial wormholes, which already spans much of Terragen space and is over six millennia old.
- Wormhole Termini - Text by Steve Bowers, Luke Campbell and Todd Drashner 2009
Wormhole stations located near, and within, wormholes.
- Wormholes - A Layman's Guide - Text by Todd Drashner and Adam Getchell
Technical details about wormholes.
- Wormholes - Cultural Factors - Text by Anders Sandberg; additions by Todd Drashner and Stephen Inniss
The addition of a wormhole stargate to a system has multiple effects both on local culture and on Terragen culture generally.
- Ynity Gate Project - Text by Steve Bowers
Failed project to transmit wormholes across interstellar space