Image from Bernd Helfert
Communications and networking technology, allowing commlink access to the Known Net or local nets, cryptography, and more.
- Affinitybond - Text by M. Alan Kazlev (inspired by concept in Peter F Hamilton's Night's Dawn universe)
A shared empathetic and technotelepathic connection between two or more entities.
- Affinitylink - Text by M. Alan Kazlev (inspired by concept in Peter F Hamilton's Night's Dawn universe)
Use of technotelepathy to affinitybond with other sentient or subsentient remotes, bots, or biological organisms.
- Art Generator Software - Text by Domagoj K.
A class of software that allows users to easily create visual art.
- Augmented Reality (AR) - Text by M. Alan Kazlev after the original in Anders Sandberg's Transhumanist Terminology
A personalized view of reality, the result of filtering, translation, and addition of new perceptions, such as annotations, information or virtual objects; essential for any sapient being to function in most of the civilized galaxy, and interact with all but the most basic tech..
- Avatar (Archai) - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
A lower toposophic representation or entity through which a transapient or archai can interact in a particular environment or situation of a level one or more toposophic levels below. An Avatar may be a non-sentient icon, a bot, a sentient simulcrum or remote, a fully individual being, or anything in between.
- Avatar (VR) - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Any graphical, virtual representation of a sophont that interacts in virchspace - a virch body.
- Avatars, Proxavs, and Seraiphim - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
A proxy avatar of a high toposophic being which manifests as a lower toposophic being, often at a similar level to the sophonts it is designed to interface with.
- Black Box - Text by John B and Anders Sandberg
 Any process that cannot be observed
 A device for recording events that might otherwise go unobserved
 A device designed to prevent its contents from unauthorized observation
 A device that contains information that is fundamentally impossible to observe.
- Black Net, The - Text by Todd Drashner
Alternative, secret net used for clandestine purposes.
- Bodyjacking - Text by Stephen Inniss
Control of a sophont's physical body against their will for the purpose of tele-operation.
- Causal Fortress - Text by Steve Bowers
Use of wormhole temporal technology to give advanced information about events occurring in the vicinity of a particular location.
- Cellular Automaton - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
A vir dynamic system that is composed of an array of cells.
- Cleanliness - Text by Pran Mukherjee
In a world of ultra-tech carpets, remote-control bodmods, and other computer-controlled gadgets, cleanliness is not simply a matter of taking a shower every day.
- Conceptication - Text by Todd Drashner with additions by John B and Steve Bowers
The use of Mnemonet technology to facilitate information transfer between sentient beings.
- Cybercosm - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Generic term for any virchworld in or apart from the Known Net; a subdivision of the Cybercosm.
- Cybercosm, The - Text by Todd Drashner
Name given the sum total of all the various simulations, emulations and VR environments in existence across the Known Net at any given time.
- Cyberdemocracy - Text by Ryan B
Government by means of direct representation, and/or participation, via technological means (Internet, IPN, or LocalNet)
- DNIs: Basic Components, Features and Risks - Text by Ryan B
Direct Neural Interface equipment and operation details.
- Ear, The - Text by John B
"The Ear" is used by baselines to indicate if they are under surveillance by active sensors or via active transmissions.
- Eidolon - Text by Stephen Inniss
Telepresence via utility fog.
- Fluent Veil - Text by Todd Drashner
Smart fabric veil worn by many citizens in the Solar Dominion and some other polities.
- Fog Swarm Projection - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
A rl projection of physical objects and entities through the behavior of trillions of foglets. Fog swarms can be seamlessly merged with virch environments to create a continuum from totally virtual to totally rl.
- Genetron - Text by Steve Bowers
Vec engeneration device; a genetron can synthesise and construct new vecs, as well as reconstruct existing individuals from back-up or from copied and/or transmitted information.
- Ghost Interface (alias Washu pad) - Text by Peter Kisner
Device in which the computer holographically projects an interface screen in some area near the user. The screen can be "touch" sensitive, with the computer monitoring phalangial position in relation to the projected image, or view-screen and "keyboard" can be separate projections. Ghost interfaces are usually activated either by a command word or easy hand gesture.
- God Web, The - Text by M. Alan Kazlev and Steve Bowers
That part of the Nexus and the Known Net which is used by archailects (SI:4 and above).
- Golem (bot) - Text by Anders Sandberg
Utility mesites (heavy foglets) animated by an AI controlling them. They are usually makeshift constructions thrown together when an transapient being is in urgent need to manipulate the physical world but lacks an avatar nearby and simply commandeers whatever hardware is around, shapes it into a being and sets to work. Under favourable circumstances and with the right software add-ons, a modosophont ai can produce a 'stock' golem from an array of templates, but of course cannot match the improvisational skill of transapient AIs. Golem is a term from from Old Earth Jewish mythology.
- Haptic interface, Haptics - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
In non-DNI virtual reality systems, the physical actuators that provide the user with a sense of touch, including the sensing of pressure and temperature. Still used by some anti-cyborgization clades and phyles today.
- Holovision - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Media or information display device used for education and entertainment, as an alternative to both 2D on the one hand and DNI on the other. While crude versions were available as early as AT 67 (including compact portable models used with a head-mounted viewer for full-immersion audio/visual), full holovision had to await the development of sophisticated phased array optics in the early 3rd century, which give it the ability to project life-like three-dimensional images into the center of a room.
- Immedeism - Text by Michael LaTorra
Seeks to understand the media of experience, by "touch" real things as much as possible, without any intervening "gloves". For Immedeists, experience of any type is a layer that must be recognized and if possible, penetrated in order to reach a more fundamental level.
- Internalnet - Text by Ken Clements, in Anders Sandberg's Transhuman Terminology
An information network inside a living body, for example between nanochondria, bionic implants or external wearable computers.
- Internet War, The - Text by Anders Sandberg
Late Information Age (2089 c.e.) virtual world war. A war of sabotage, misinformation and denial of service centered on North American interests on the net, likely launched by unknown competitors or megacorps.
- Internet, The - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Old Earth Information Age data-network enabling exchange of information through data packages transmitted through computers linked by telephone and communication satellites, using a common shared protocol. The Internet eventually became a part of the IPN, which in term was later expanded to become the Interstellar Net and finally the Known Net.
- InterPlanetary Net - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
InterPlaNet, Interplanetary Network, the extension of the Internet to CisLunar and interplanetary space. Information Age to Nanotech Interplanetary Age.
- Known Net, The - Text by M. Alan Kazlev; additional comments by John Snead
The interstellar information network and interlinked cybercosms that has grown over thousands of years from the old pre-singularity Internet and InterPlanetNet.
- Laser - Text by Stephen Inniss
Any device that emits a beam of electromagnetic radiation through a process of optical amplification based on the stimulated emission of photons.
- Light-cone - Text by Stephen Inniss
The path that light created at a single point in space and time and travelling in all directions would take through spacetime. The concept of a light cone is important to an understanding of causality.
- Lightways, The - Text by Liam Jones
The network of laser-communication channels covering the Terragen Sphere, including the Known Net and the Engenerator network.
- Living Paper - Text by Brian McKinley
A computer or supercomputer resembling a sheet of paper, Interplanetary Age to recent.
- Local Net - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Sometimes as a single word, 'localnet'. Refers to any local subnet of the Known Net. May range from a single habitat intranet to a polity, planetary or interplanetary net.
- Lynk - Text by Todd Drashner
Lynking - the act of linking different locations by telepresence via high-grade utility fog, often as part of an angelnet.
- Membot, Memebot - Text by M. Alan Kazlev and Glenn Grant
A (typically illegal) nano-mesite or nano-micrite replicator, usually a cytobot cytobiobot, that acts directly on the brain or other processing center to predispose the victim to certain memes. Alternatively and facetiously, a sophont dedicated to the propagation of a meme or memeplex.
- Mutual Data Authentication - Text by Steve Bowers and John B
A system that allows two transapients or archailects to engage in a full 'conversation', sharing not only news and messages but entire thoughts and sentient, sophont or transapient subselves. Vulnerabilities of such a system are sometimes cited as an explanation for the Fermi Paradox.
- Nanoflex - Text by Todd Drashner
Paper-like programmable matter; a multi-purpose, omni-flexible nanotech effector system still used in many parts of the Terragen sphere.
- Net - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Distributed network of processing nodes, data-storage and distribution faculties, and virtual environments. See also Local Net, Known Net.
- Neural Implant, Neural Interface, DNI - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Generic term for any brain implant that enhances a biont's sensory ability, memory, or intelligence.
- Nexus, The - Text by Orion's Arm Editors
The common term for the Wormhole Nexus.
- Noosphere, The - Text by Todd Drashner
Cybercosm based discussion forum employed by various transingularity minds to converse and perhaps argue about those questions and issues that are of long-term or theoretical interest to minds at SI:1 and above.
- Omega Key - Text by Todd Drashner and John B
Clarketech device able to decode many forms of encrypted communications and penetrate many forms of data security.
- Optical Phased Arrays - Text by Luke Campbell and Steve Bowers
An optical phased array (OPA) uses phase technology to produce a wide range of optical images and emissions.
- Overwatch Processor - Text by John B
A briefly-popular dedicated system linked to a being's perceptive faculties and a large database (which manufacturers always recommended be constantly updated, usually at an additional subscription fee).
- Pencomp - Text by John B and Todd Drashner
Networked processing device allegedly very popular in the period leading up to the Technocalypse, and definitely for some time thereafter.
- Photonics - Text by M. Alan Kazlev based on a list by Robert J. Hall
The study of the control of photons, especially for the transmission of information. Includes technology such as lasers, laser amplifiers, fiber optic cables, light-conducting buckytubes, light emitters, sensors and imaging systems of all sorts, charge-coupled devices, optical communication systems, holography, phased array optics, optical computers, and all types of optical data storage systems.
- Pidgin Brain - Text by Michael M. Butler in Anders Andberg's Transhuman Terminology
An artificial part of a posthuman brain designed so that activity, memories and skills stored in it can easily be transferred to other pidgin brains, a "neural ligua franca".
- Pidgin Lobes - Text by Steve Bowers
Language modules that can be plugged into a cyborg's exocortex to facilitate language translation.
- Pimple Socket - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
A microscopic interface socket by which a biont can use cyberware (e.g. DNI) without appearing like a "buttonhead". The name cames from the fact that the socket itself is surrounded by a small bump or pimple that allows the user to find it even without augmentations.
- Quantum Channel - Text by M. Alan Kazlev, from original in Richard Baker and David Dye's Ad Astra
Secure communication established through the production and detection of polarized photons.
- Quantum Cryptography - Text by Anders Sandberg in his Transhuman Terminology
A system based on quantum-mechanical principles. Eavesdroppers alter the quantum state of the system and so are detected.
- Reality Intertextualization Project - Text by Crossroads
Project with the mission to detect other realities; determine, if possible, what conditions are like in these realities; and to contact any intelligent beings that may live there. In 10495, the RIP claimed to have detected indisputable evidence of intelligent life in one of these realms. Efforts to contact them are underway.
- Reality Room - Text by Todd Drashner and Stephen Inniss
Imaging and entertainment technology in use during the 4th and 5th centuries AT.
- Relay - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
A hardware node in the Known Net which usually includes computronium servers, docks, service stations, and multiple nano- and microgauge wormhole gates. In some cases, relays may also incorporate flat-space communication systems, and catapults for transport of cargo and hard matter data storage systems.
- Relay001 - Text by Todd Drashner
The first major wormhole plexus and relay system built in the Inner Sphere. Became the model for later Relay systems.
- Scion - Text by Stephen Inniss
A partial or full copy of a sophont, using the same substrate as the original.
- Secured Communications - Text by John B
Comm mode where the recipient network/processor records messages for analysis before forwarding them to recipients.
- Social Interaction Technologies - Text by Todd Drashner
A variety of technologies that allow social interactions between beings who have differing environmental requirements.
- SpamShield - Text by John B
Any program used to protect against messages that contain unwanted information or memetic manipulation. The SpamShield can be set to several modes, depending on the region and the user's level of tolerance. The most common modes are 'off', 'reword' or 'delete'.
- Stamp - Text by Stephen Inniss
Data security tags recognised throughout the Terragen Sphere.
- Symbionic - Text by Glenn F. Cartwright
Possessing a direct, neural interface between the brain and the environment
Symbionics developed during the later information and early interplanetary periods, and for the first time allowed the biont mind to directly channel wireless, virtual reality information directly to the cortex, bypassing conventional sensory channels. This enabled complete and seamless virch participation, and virch realities that for the first time were indistinguishable from physical (rl) reality.
- Tablet - Text by Todd Drashner
Standard late Information and early Interplanetary Age baseline-friendly microtech communications, text, and Net interface device.
- Teamware - Text by Anders Sandberg
One of the most common form of nearbaseline militia team coordination systems are teamware, where each team member has a wearable sending information to either some behind-the-lines headquarter or forming a local network.
- Technoanimism - Text by Stephen Inniss
A common memeplex that reached currency in the Interplanetary Age with the advent of sentient and sapient ais, bots, and vecs and widespread gengineering and provolution.
- Technoetics - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Nanotech wetware or firmware distributed through the cerebral cortex (and sometimes the entire CNS and ANS) that is able to detect realtime electrochemical neuronal activity, reconstructing the whole (through the cerebral cortex, as well as CNS and ANS reflexes) and translating it into an authentic noetic gestalt or stream of consciousness that can be used for non-destructive real-time uploading, technotelepathy, or cyberfacing with devices in one's immediate environment, or with a higher toposophic seraiph or ai. Technoetics differs considerably in efficiency and authenticity according to the sophistication of the particular wetware/firmware/software used.
- Technoshamanism - Text by Stephen Inniss
A natural outgrowth of technoanimism. Technoshamanism is the art of understanding and negotiating with the ubiquitous sentient, sapient/sophont, and pseudosophont or pesudosentient items and beings that are encountered in day to day life by a typical modosophont in the Civilized Galaxy.
- Temporary Bodies - Text by Michael Boncher, revised by Steve Bowers 2015
Bot or biobot body that is used to temporarily house the mind of a virtual person or any other discorporate entity.
- Thought-Stream Recorder - Text by Domagoj K
A cybernetic device that continually records a sophont's thoughts into a log that can be inspected later. Typically used in conjunction with DNI, it is employed for forensic, introspective, research, and security purposes.
- Toon - Text by Anders Sandberg
1. A simplified representations of reality representing general classes.
2. A simulacrum, either non-sentient or aioid, representing an archetype or story character in virtual entertainment, advertising, interactive books or other media.
- Toonic - Text by Anders Sandberg
Relating to toons.
- Total Touch Environment - Text by M. Alan Kazlev, from concept by Ray Kurzweil
Old (Information Age) term for any virch environment that provides all-encompassing tactile sensation, whether via hotsuit or DNI.
- Touchlink - Text by Todd Drashner
Tactile control interface used to connect a users onboard system with external devices without the use of radio or optical transmission technology.
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation - Text by Loopquanta
Non-invasive neural interfacing using magnetic fields.
- Unityware - Text by Anders Sandberg
Software to enable the formation of group intellects. Named for the Nova Terra clade Unity, the first marketers of unityware.
- Virchbuilder Packages - Text by Tony Jones
Types of software used to create virtual worlds.
- Virtual Reality - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
- Wormhole Bus - Text by M. Alan Kazlev, with additions by Steve Bowers
Dedicated hyperbandwidth wormhole used to link remote parts of megascale brains in order to avoid the effects of the Beckenstein Bound. An essential part of archailect architecture. The term is also used to refer to wormhole links between interstellar-separated dyson nodes.
- Wormhole Nexus, The - Text by Anders Sandberg and M. Alan Kazlev
A modular and ever expanding network of artificial wormholes, which already spans much of Terragen space and is over six millennia old.
- Wormholes - A Layman's Guide - Text by Todd Drashner and Adam Getchell
Technical details about wormholes.