The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Possible EG Redesign Ideas
(03-21-2014, 01:07 PM)Drashner1 Wrote: In addition, having one table/master database would allow us to make updates in just one place and have one historical 'source of truth' that would be consistent across the entire site.

So, two major questions:

a) Is this sort of thing doable from a technical standpoint?

b) Is this sort of thing desirable?

Thoughts?

Todd
One problem is that the scrollable timeline does not contain all the details and events in the main timeline - there simply isn't enough space for the timeline to display them all. But it includes most important events.

I expect Trond could find some way of displaying the scrollable timeline in data form, and that would be a useful tool, but I have no idea how that could be done.
(03-21-2014, 09:55 PM)stevebowers Wrote: One problem is that the scrollable timeline does not contain all the details and events in the main timeline - there simply isn't enough space for the timeline to display them all. But it includes most important events.

I expect Trond could find some way of displaying the scrollable timeline in data form, and that would be a useful tool, but I have no idea how that could be done.

Hmm. I thought we had basically loaded the entire contents of the Timeline pages into the scrollable. What did we miss?

I guess my main idea is just to have some way to make the timeline pages easier to manage and less labor intensive. The scrollable timeline has the possible advantage of already existing and incorporating some/most of the elements we would want (I think).

I suppose another option would be to come up with a wholly new way of representing the timeline pages that would have its own database. But that would involve essentially replicating/reloading the data of the scollable all over again, which seems a bit of a pain.

Oh well, perhaps first let's see what Trond says about it being possible at all and then decide if we want to try it or something different or leave as isSmile

Todd
Quote:Hmm. I thought we had basically loaded the entire contents of the Timeline pages into the scrollable. What did we miss?
The scrollable timeline can only display about 20 lines of text, and in densely populated parts of the timeline (such as the Version War) there are more than twenty incidents to display at any particular time. So a few incidents have not been included.
I'm not sure if I've missed the boat on suggesting ideas for a site redesign but I'll post anyway. Sometimes I find it really difficult to search the EG. I've always felt the way we organise things is a bit fragmented, often I find amongst those small posts (the lists at the end of articles that are sometimes links to full articles but often just little entries) things that contradict. Today I've been searching for a while for an entry on a clade but can't find it at all.

What I'd like to see is if we could organise things so that it was much more easy to generate lists e.g. a list of every clade in the setting, every system etc. At the moment it seems that if you want to do that you can't, instead you have to trawl through lists that include all sorts of tangentially related articles.

Incidentally the clade I'm trying to find was an entry about a form of homo superior that were engineered to produce and shed biological ufog. Seems pertinent to the psitech thread.
I'll pass this along to Trond. It sounds like filtering a search by Topic at first blush. Not sure if this would be easy, hard, or in between, but will pass along any response Trond provides.

The clade in question is the Denathi Adepts. I had forgotten about them until you mentioned it.

Todd
http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/47e9bcd160669