The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Lurk Mode De-activated
Before you is... Something... Black... Dangerous... Cold... Angular...

It almost looks like a hole in reality, the odd shape so perfectly black you cannot discern what parts are in the foreground and which are further away. It is like someone just cut out a 3D hole in space.

The cold seems to be emanating from it, the ambient temperature of the berthing bay dropping noticeably, cold tendrils almost compelling you towards the shape.

Then a seam, a fine bead of light tracing along it appears, occluded by parts of the entity as it forms an irregular oval and then with eery silence hinges open.

Then things get weirder. The person(?) climbing out initially appears human, obviously not a baseline. His joints are all wrong, articulating in unsettling ways, his eyes constantly scanning the room, and the strange crests on his head shift colour chromatically, either it is a play of the light on them as his head moves, or they are animated by something.

His eyes settle on you and he opens his mouth, but what you hear seems to be out of sync.

"Hello, I'm hoping I am not lost, you need to hear what I have come to tell you, can you help me remember?"

------------------------------------------------------

I have followed the OA world for awhile now and have eagerly lapped up the EG, I love that stuff.

My love for sci fi has compelled me to consure every piece written by the late Ian. M Banks, Alistair Reynolds, and Peter. F Hamillton. So I would like to think I have a firm footing in space opera, if not hard sci fi, and look forward to developing something to call my own, hopefully here amongst you fine folks.
Welcome to Orion's Arm!

You have named three of my favourite authors, each of whom produce (or produced) science fiction that was satisfyingly hard and concept-based, with a few elements of handwavium and unobtainium thrown in. We have our handwavium and unobtainium too, but we try to justify them if we can.
They are all rather spectacular, and don't just tell a story, the thing I love about them is what brought me here; the worlds that their stories exist in.

I have came across some of your handwavium and unobtanium in the EG, and to be honest you guys are quite brutal on yourselves when it comes to the HARD in hard scifi.

I am also most of my way through Joe Haldemans Mars Girl trilogy (Bound trilogy?) Just winding up the end of Earthboud now, already cried for a departed character, but eager to see how humanity fares.
Welcome to OA Big Grin I'm a big Hamilton fan. His science might be soft but he excels at working through the ramifications of his handwavium and keeping it consistent.

If you have and questions, comments or suggestions for the setting feel free to get stuck right in!
Oh trust me I am >Big Grin

Got a couple of ideas I am fleshing out before I then flense them into correlation with OA, plus a plot inspired by a Daft Punk song... But more on that later.

Thanks for the welcome too guys, OA has been somewhere I've come to read and enjoy the history and imagination of creative folks like yourselves for a while, really glad to have made the leap and join in too Smile