The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Finally Actually Joining
Hello!

I've been a lurker for going on five years, and it's high time I actually contributed something.

Working on a screen-reader/TTS script to read articles off while I'm on walks (see screenshot). Pretty niche as it requires Termux to use on mobile but it did require me to build up a pretty comprehensive library of pronunciations, which might conceivably be useful to someone Tongue 

Looking forward to making my contribution,
tasp

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Wow this looks fantastic! What makes the narrating software specific to OA ? The pronunciation library?
Welcome to OA!

Cool concept! I look forward to learning more about it as it develops. Smile

Todd
Introverts of the World - Unite! Separately....In our own homes.
(02-20-2024, 09:21 AM)Worldtree Wrote: Wow this looks fantastic! What makes the narrating software specific to OA ? The pronunciation library?

Yes, that's a list of about 1500 words that espeak, the TTS software I'm using, butchers when it tries to pronounce. Many of them are OA-specific, like telling it to say "mo-do-SOPH-ont" instead of "muh-DOS-uh-phont", which it says by default. Some are just normal words it doesn't know how to pronounce, like "theremin". Espeak is a pretty primitive piece of software but it's fairly lightweight and has a system for specifying phonetic pronunciation using something similar to the International Phonetic Alphabet. The program currently just does a basic search-and-replace with the listed terms to replace them with the corrected phonetic transliteration.

It's still very much a hacky little personal project but I thought y'all might appreciate seeing it.
Welcome and cool idea!