The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

The Outer Volumes Project
Hi y'all, I'm an electro/techno DJ in upstate NY and I'm doing a 1 hour show in September that I've called “Outer Volumes” which will feature techno music from my decks, my narration through a vocoder, a giant LED wall featuring various OA animations, AI-animated OA art, and footage from any and all simulation programs such as Celestia. To top it off, there will be an audience of about 400 people (the “sophonts”) who, despite promotional materials, will have no idea what they’re getting into. This is key because my alias is borne out of my first experience on a Gravitron at a fair: comfort and excitement in the loss of control. The performance is scheduled for September 23, 5:30-6:30 EST at a fancy performing arts center in Oneonta, NY (Catskills/upstate) and will definitely be livestreamed.

I found OA through the Peshay mix on Youtube and I’ve been slowly immersing myself, though working full-time has been making that hard to do. I’m beginning to realize that I can’t do this alone, so please consider this post an invitation to the entire community to collaborate, especially for videos and animation. I’ll probably want to avoid sexual or nightmare fuel visuals since kids will be in attendance. I’m still not 100% on the plot, I could go anywhere from virtual gardens to planet destruction so I’ll welcome suggestions to that end, preferably if there is already existing art I can ask to use.

I should have my mixcloud link in my bio, the mix I have posted is a VERY rough draft of something along the lines of this project but it was apparently enough to get me booked! I'll be honing my DJ skills during this time as well. I'm really excited for this community to discover Detroit techno if you haven't already, I think there isn't any genre that fits this universe as well as this stuff does. Examples below:

Funky outer space stuff: The Martian - LBH6251876 (A Red Planet Compilation) (Full Album) - YouTube

Dark science stuff: Dopplereffekt - Cellular Automata (Full Album) - YouTube

Example of vocoder use: Aux 88 - Electro , Techno (1996) - YouTube
Ok wow
So that is really , really interesting

However, unlike that peshay studio set video (who didn’t ask permission and gave no attribution to the images but credited the music) , I recommend that you read the terms and conditions

https://www.orionsarm.com/xcms.php?r=oa-...=gen_terms

of the Orion’s Arm universe project if you haven’t yet. You’ll probably be fine, in the end,

But among other things, you’ll likely need to be sure to give proper credit, and possibly permission from all artists whose images are used. Attribution to OA itself isn’t too complex- just added to the credits at the end.

You can probably email Keith wigdor directly, like I did.
Hi There - Welcome to OA!

This sounds very interesting. If there's a way to provide a link to the livestream during the event or (even better) a recording of it after the fact, available for us to put on the website or in the forum that would be very nice.

Re the issue of attribution (which for various reasons ends up crossing my metaphorical desk a lot):

As Worldtree has suggested, reading our Terms and Conditions is a good idea on general principles. Having said that, it sounds much more intimidating than it is and - with some exceptions - boils down to the following:

a) You retain the copyright to any content you submit to the project and can do with it what you wish outside of the OA project.

b) You grant the OA project (OAUP) the right in perpetuity to do whatever we wish with the content you've submitted to us. That includes combining it with content from other members, modifying it as we see fit, or even deleting it from the project. This also includes granting other people - including people outside the OAUP - the right to use content submitted to the OAUP (to varying degrees, depending on the situation) as long as they provide proper attribution to the OAUP. Generally, this consists of a short attribution statement and our URL - details varying with the content and how it is to be used. We are happy to discuss details with the aim of coming to a mutually satisfactory arrangement.

Applying this to what you've told us so far:

1) With some exceptions, an officer of the OAUP (both Worldtree and myself are such, we can loop in others if needed) has the power to grant you rights to use content found on the OA website without the need for you to go to each individual contributor to get their permission. This can be done on a content by content basis or for a batch of content or in the form of a semi-blanket permission. The details depend on the specific situation and possibly the consensus of a meeting of the OAUP 'management'.

1a) If you wish to contact each individual artist and get their direct permission to use an image they've submitted to OA, their permission overrides our organizational permission since they retain the copyright to their works. Whatever attribution they want for that arrangement is something you would need to work out with them. You can just provide us copies of their permission statement in that kind of case.

2) Re those exceptions - there are some works that have been submitted to the OAUP that have their own standalone agreements that override our more general attribution guidelines and use more traditional copyright requirement. These should all be noted in some fashion in the artwork credits on the web page where the image is located. Works by Keith Widgor are a recent case of this and also involve the use of AI art software. As has been noted, works by Keith - as well as a few other contributors as noted on the page(s) where their artwork appears - will need you to contact the artist directly for permission to use their content.

3) On general principles, the easiest way to navigate this situation is to send us a list (with links to the relevant website pages) of the images you would like to use. We can review these pretty quickly to determine which (if any) require specific permission from the artist vs our organizational permission and then get back to you.

Ok, I think that about covers my thinking at this point. If you have any questions or concerns about any of the above, the Terms and Conditions or anything else, please don't hesitate to ask us.

Hope this helps,

Todd

EDIT: Should have said this earlier - if the T&C and our above approach works for you, please let us know and we can then see what we can do to assist (within our admittedly limited available time) with your project.
Introverts of the World - Unite! Separately....In our own homes.
As far as avoiding images of a nightmare fuel/sexual nature - that makes sense.

I'd suggest focusing on spaceships and habitats as a starting point as well as planetary images - we have tons of these and all (well, the vast majority anyway) should avoid those two areas.

I'm sure there's other images as well, but they likely require a deeper review as sometimes rather...strange...stuff can be hidden away in the corners or background and not be immediately obvious.

Hope this helps,

Todd
Introverts of the World - Unite! Separately....In our own homes.
Just an update to this performance, unless Zaspar ends up posting more about this  :

For those interested in seeing an OA inspired music performance - 

- theres no plans to live-stream this from the venue, so anyone who wants to see this can go in person, if they happen to live nearby to Onenata , New York (USA) 

The event website 
https://www.foothillspac.org/foothills-fringe/

“Zaspar/DJ Gravitron” Wrote:September 23, 5:30-6:30 at the Foothills PAC (Performing Art Center) in Oneonta, NY

On the day before they're also hosting a gala at 5, sort of a meet and greet if you want to come to that too

music from DJ Gravitron 

https://m.mixcloud.com/DJ_Gravitron/

https://wonyfm.com/node/81471

https://wonyfm.com/user/78017

Kaspar

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

For anyone who happens to have actually been planning on attending this event in hopes of seeing an OA -based concert act , Zaspar/ DJ Gravitron just canceled their “outer volumes” performance. 

The rest of the foothills fringe festival in oneata , NY will of course continue as planned.