The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Where do I post long form content?
Hello. I have been a longtime fan of the project and have been working on a story set in the Universe. As of the current draft of the story, it is well over 300 chapters long, and while only 2 chapters are somewhat complete, the average chapter length would be around 6000 words. where should I post this? Is it ok to post it on Wattpad as I was planning?
Hi There - Welcome to OA Smile

Please feel free to join in on any conversations that grab your interest or to start a new one if there's something you'd like to discuss but don't see a thread on.

If you have any questions about the OA setting or community, please don't hesitate to ask.

Regarding your specific question:

Posting to Wattpad or some other site/tool (e.g., Google Docs) where you can then create/share a link that readers can use to access it is fine.

When you get that done and have the link, I'd suggest posting it, along with a brief intro to what the story is called and is about, to the Creative Writing sub-forum here - LINK.

We are generally in the habit of providing (constructive) feedback when people post OA articles/stories here, primarily with the goal of making sure a given work fits with OA Canon and the community's current take on how the OA setting works. For something that's not actually hosted inside the forum we may need to give some thought on how best to do that, assuming that is what you are looking for here (if you aren't, that's not the end of the world, but please let us know that ASAP so we don't waste your time and ours ). Assuming that any feedback is communicated via the forum, then having chapters and/or page numbers (or equivalent) in the story would be very helpful when it comes to specifying what we are all talking about when discussing something.

If you don't have that kind of thing in there already, we can probably figure something out.

Hope this helps and once again - Welcome to OA!

Todd
Introverts of the World - Unite! Separately....In our own homes.
Though you can also post your entire story so far in the creative writing forum - with a brief intro to what the story is called and is about

welcome to the forums Smile
(02-05-2023, 02:45 AM)Worldtree Wrote: Though you can also post your entire story so far in the creative writing forum - with a brief intro to what the story is called and is about

I thought about suggesting that as well, but given the length of the work indicated by the OP I wasn't sure but what it would exceed the posting limit of the forum. It hasn't happened often, but it has happened.

IIRC when it does happen, the forum just cuts off the post at that point - which could potentially result in a lot of work spent copy/pasting it into the forum ending up wasted. But perhaps I'm misremembering the limits vs what the OP has given.

Todd
(02-05-2023, 01:51 AM)Drashner1 Wrote: Hi There - Welcome to OA Smile

Please feel free to join in on any conversations that grab your interest or to start a new one if there's something you'd like to discuss but don't see a thread on.

If you have any questions about the OA setting or community, please don't hesitate to ask.

Regarding your specific question:

Posting to Wattpad or some other site/tool (e.g., Google Docs) where you can then create/share a link that readers can use to access it is fine.

When you get that done and have the link, I'd suggest posting it, along with a brief intro to what the story is called and is about, to the Creative Writing sub-forum here - LINK.

We are generally in the habit of providing (constructive) feedback when people post OA articles/stories here, primarily with the goal of making sure a given work fits with OA Canon and the community's current take on how the OA setting works. For something that's not actually hosted inside the forum we may need to give some thought on how best to do that, assuming that is what you are looking for here (if you aren't, that's not the end of the world, but please let us know that ASAP so we don't waste your time and ours ). Assuming that any feedback is communicated via the forum, then having chapters and/or page numbers (or equivalent) in the story would be very helpful when it comes to specifying what we are all talking about when discussing something.

If you don't have that kind of thing in there already, we can probably figure something out.

Hope this helps and once again - Welcome to OA!

Todd

Sure. I think I will post the links to every chapter here on the forums with the chapter number and title.
(02-05-2023, 03:14 AM)Drashner1 Wrote:
(02-05-2023, 02:45 AM)Worldtree Wrote: Though you can also post your entire story so far in the creative writing forum - with a brief intro to what the story is called and is about

I thought about suggesting that as well, but given the length of the work indicated by the OP I wasn't sure but what it would exceed the posting limit of the forum. It hasn't happened often, but it has happened.

IIRC when it does happen, the forum just cuts off the post at that point - which could potentially result in a lot of work spent copy/pasting it into the forum ending up wasted. But perhaps I'm misremembering the limits vs what the OP has given.

Todd
 I will give a brief description of what the story is when I post the first chapter link, but a briefer summary would be it is a ASOIAF style epic set in a system undergoing a Technocalypse style collapse in the periphery sometime in the late 11000s AT
(02-05-2023, 03:25 AM)MstrongStarkiller Wrote:  I will give a brief description of what the story is when I post the first chapter link, but a briefer summary would be it is a ASOIAF style epic set in a system undergoing a Technocalypse style collapse in the periphery sometime in the late 11000s AT

Er - What does ASOIAF mean? Not familiar with that abbreviation, I'm afraid.

Technically speaking we usually say that the OA 'present day' is 10,600 or 10,605 AT more or less. But I don't know that the discrepancy would be an issue. Guess we'll see. Smile

Thanks!

Todd
(02-05-2023, 06:25 AM)Drashner1 Wrote: Er - What does ASOIAF mean? Not familiar with that abbreviation, I'm afraid.

A Song Of Ice And Fire i believe, although i dont think ive ever seen the whole thing abbreviated like that.