The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Hi. I'm new to Orion's Arm
(07-17-2021, 02:34 PM)Random Ambles Wrote: I'm interested in doing some stuff with aliens and their technological and societal developments (in an artificially simulated universe if necessary, but preferably in the main one). I was curious if there are particular rules or artistic constraints I need to abide by or be aware of beyond the laws of physics and agreed-upon rarity of aliens in order to maintain consistency with the observations which give rise to the Fermi paradox.

This seems like a great list already. I intend to read as much of it as I can!

PS.) Here's a sample of something I've been working on that may fit in with Orion's Arm, about shelled organisms that have developed into a race of very physically-rooted vec-like beings with what I hope is a fairly unique world-view: It's just a sketch right now, but I'm hopping to turn it into something closer to a short narrative or possibly a more thoroughly detailed entry in the EG.
 Welcome !
I’m Dfleymmes 
I’ve mostly been making visual art , illustrations, and some writing for OA for the past ten years but I’m also an editor of the website! Definitely trying to bring more of a character/ on the ground view of this cool world we’re all playing in. 

Aside from the rarity of aliens- especially intelligent, technologically advanced ones , I’ll say the bar is definitely higher for them? But the universe is technically so huge there’s room for hundreds of species, especially if they’re far away. The setting is definitely more focused on earth-descended life so there’s some drive to focus on that more. 

You don’t have to write formal EG articles if that’s not your style - plenty of folks have contributed stories, or snapshots (just a scene or two showing an on the ground view of a world), music, poetry,  or tried to make a OA game. Most contributors have chosen EG entries for one reason or another. 

There’s a lot of small rules here and there , many of which are covered in the links Todd provided.

Messages In This Thread
Hi. I'm new to Orion's Arm - by Random Ambles - 07-17-2021, 06:31 AM
RE: Hi. I'm new to Orion's Arm - by Drashner1 - 07-17-2021, 10:47 AM
RE: Hi. I'm new to Orion's Arm - by Random Ambles - 07-17-2021, 02:34 PM
RE: Hi. I'm new to Orion's Arm - by Drashner1 - 07-17-2021, 11:48 PM
RE: Hi. I'm new to Orion's Arm - by Worldtree - 07-18-2021, 12:02 AM
RE: Hi. I'm new to Orion's Arm - by Random Ambles - 07-17-2021, 02:46 PM
RE: Hi. I'm new to Orion's Arm - by Vitto - 07-17-2021, 10:12 PM
RE: Hi. I'm new to Orion's Arm - by MacGregor - 07-17-2021, 11:06 PM
RE: Hi. I'm new to Orion's Arm - by Worldtree - 07-18-2021, 12:06 AM
RE: Hi. I'm new to Orion's Arm - by Random Ambles - 07-21-2021, 02:52 PM
RE: Hi. I'm new to Orion's Arm - by Worldtree - 03-20-2023, 09:19 AM