The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Consolidating Mass-Stream Articles
I would like to consolidate the following articles into a single article that covers all the subject matter in one place:

Mass-Stream Technology

Dynamic Orbital Rings

Space Fountains and Orbital Rings

Space Fountain

Does anyone have any issues with this (or suggestions of improvements to make along the way)? Also, I was thinking of changing the title to 'Mass-Streams and Orbital Rings'. Does that seem workable or is there something else that would work better?

Thoughts?

Todd
Agreed, these look like good candidates for consolidation. Regarding the title, is it possible to have orbital rings without mass-streams?
(03-05-2020, 09:13 PM)MacGregor Wrote: Agreed, these look like good candidates for consolidation. Regarding the title, is it possible to have orbital rings without mass-streams?

IIRC the 'basic' orbital ring that Paul Birch (inventor of the orbital ring concept basically) describes in his first JBIS paper is a single large cable type ring in low orbit. Although I would need to go back and confirm that in the JBIS paper.

That said, virtually all other descriptions of an orbital ring that I can think of (including Birch's later on) are based on mass-stream tech. For sake of completeness I will say that things like 'ring cities' in geosync orbit are not the same as an orbital ring.

My main concern with just leaving the title as 'mass stream technology' was that people might have a harder time finding the article since that terminology is somewhat unique to OA, I think. However, after going into the EG and doing a search on 'orbital ring' the mass stream article came up. So that concern is probably a non-issue.

Assuming no objections or a better title coming along, I can leave it as 'mass-stream technology'. We can always change it later if we want.

Todd
How about Mass-Stream Technology (Space Fountains and Orbital Rings) ?
(03-05-2020, 11:38 PM)MacGregor Wrote: How about Mass-Stream Technology (Space Fountains and Orbital Rings) ?

I like it! Will go with that then.

Thanks!

ToddSmile
Note that Lofstrom Loops are also examples of Mass-Stream technology, and would perhaps be the first examples of this kind of tech (unless it is used to support very large bridges on the surface of a planet).
(03-06-2020, 07:03 AM)stevebowers Wrote: Note that Lofstrom Loops are also examples of Mass-Stream technology, and would perhaps be the first examples of this kind of tech (unless it is used to support very large bridges on the surface of a planet).

True. I meant to include them (had looked at the existing article while surveying the current existing articles) and then spaced it when I made my post here.

Will look to include them as well.

Thanks!

Todd
The consolidation and update of the mass-stream articles pages is now done.

Link HERE.

Please look it over and tell me what you think.

Assuming no additional updates, my plan is to move on to diving into updating the Vangelis EG article (currently consists of: Important Communion of Worlds member-system.) both to flesh it out and as part of the creation of habitat focused articles during the Planet Moratorium.

Thanks!

Todd
I thought I'd replace the orbital-ring cross-section, since the existing version is a rather crude sketch made in Paint.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Very cool!!!

ToddSmile