The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Now, what did I just wander into... No way.......
(01-07-2020, 12:28 PM)Will the Wanderer Wrote: But your example of Brin with his Uplifts is both wonderful and inciteful on how to proceed. In fact, it inspires! My personal provolve is focused more on the design of a single species as the one of focus. I had not yet formally classified it, or its specific intelligence status by name. Or what their formal classification would be called. I almost feel compelled to honor you and the work you've accomplished by referring to them as provolves in my own text. But that's an offer of affection similar to yours to Brin. I'd understand if your response reflects his.

Actually our general response to this situation (use of term(s) or concept(s) that is - as best we can tell - OA specific) would be to want you to include an attribution statement somewhere in your book to the effect that some terms or concepts in the book originate with Orion's Arm (www.orionsarm.com) and are used with permission. There are other variants of that basic idea that we've used with other authors in the past, but proper attribution is our core concern in such situations. The exact wording and/or attribution would depend on the circumstances and is something we would generally work with you to develop. Assuming that that kind of issue were to arise.

(01-07-2020, 12:28 PM)Will the Wanderer Wrote: Other than naming, which I'm sure there won't be any real issue as those are hard to match, I am a little curious if my idea for a wormhole generator is already taken and would look bad to use. I really like mine and might refuse to change it.

It is a megastructure built like a belt around a stars. It is extremely close. In one point of the circle, is a circle for the wormhole to generate in. To prevent the ring from being crushed by the stars gravity, it spins really fast. To get into the wormhole, you have, to catch it while it spins, which makes for a wild ride for an unenhanced human from the early 21st century. That's around 30 AT, am I correct?

What you describe is drastically different from how OA wormholes are created and operate. There is basically zero overlap between the two settings on this point, based on what you've written here, and unless there is something huge you haven't mentioned yet you can confidently put any worries about an issue in this area to bed.

As far as how OA wormholes work and are created, I would refer you to the following articles:

Wormholes - A Layman's Guide - The basic structure and operation of OA wormholes, along with types of wormholes (communication gates and transport gates) and various other bits. Note that transport gates must be placed hundreds of Astronomical Units from the nearest star.

Weylforge - The device used to create wormholes.

Linelayer - Specialized ships used to transport wormhole mouths to the places a wormhole is to connect.

Hope this helpsSmile

Oh - 30AT would be the year 1999 or 2000 in our current calendar, depending on where in the AT year you are looking.

(01-07-2020, 12:28 PM)Will the Wanderer Wrote: Other than those trivial concerns, I guess there really isn't anything for me to really be worried about. Instead, I'll just join in the fun and see you all around the forum. Thanks for such a great invite. This is only the second forum I've ever interacted with.

Rolleyes

Have fun, and if you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask.

ToddSmile

Messages In This Thread
RE: Now, what did I just wander into... No way....... - by Drashner1 - 01-07-2020, 02:08 PM