The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

New and Amended pages 19/9/19
https://www.orionsarm.com/updates
19 September 2019 (Copernicus 5, 51 A.T.)
New Pages
Regulus :: Sonthaya :: Denialers :: Jovism :: Sunshapers :: Ouro :: Scoopships :: Satellite

New Fiction
The Pet, By Sean Roach

Amended Pages
Lok Mai :: Ran (Epsilon Eridani) :: Biaioid :: Iota Virginis :: Tau Ceti :: Chara :: The Beamrider Network :: The Technocalypse :: Highbrows

New Images
Cenote :: Ares Heavy Lifting :: Canopy Plant :: Relay001 :: Bishop Rings :: The Starlark :: PacMan Miner :: Simurgh :: Chthonian Class Worlds

Thanks, as ever to our editing team.
Would you mind adding the Highbrows article to your list of amended pages? Thanks.
Done; thanks!
I don't think the latest draft of psychomodding made it up
https://www.orionsarm.com/forum/showthre...6#pid49536

Posting for if anyone has time soon or just for the next round Smile
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
I'll add this to the next update (don't let me forget!)
Great stuff as always guys.
I feel like there should be a list of the changes made to those pages under the amended pages section of these posts. for example, I can't ell the changes that were made to the technocalypse article
(09-28-2019, 08:20 AM)Maleum Wrote: I feel like there should be a list of the changes made to those pages under the amended pages section of these posts. for example, I can't ell the changes that were made to the technocalypse article

While I'm not against the idea in principle, in practice that could be tough to do. OA runs on volunteer labor and sometimes changes can take weeks or longer between the time a change is suggested and the time it is carried out (depending on the scope of the change). So this would likely involve the creation and maintenance of some sort of database that would then involve making sure all the editors were filling it out and such.

Probably the most direct way to get this information would be to check in the forum for the discussion thread that led to the page being amended. While there are some editor sub-forums that only we can see, 99% of the time any such discussion would take place on the public forum. If the thread isn't obviously easy to find, then feel free to post a question about its location to the forum and someone can track it down or let you know what was changed.

I suppose the Wayback Machine might be another option. I believe our Content Management System keeps some kind of backup record of the website, but accessing it requires our Webmaster so not something we can generally just take a look at AFAIK.

Any ideas on how we might implement this in a painless manner (assuming we were to decide to do it) would be welcome.

Todd
(09-28-2019, 11:02 PM)Drashner1 Wrote: Any ideas on how we might implement this in a painless manner (assuming we were to decide to do it) would be welcome.

Todd

I suspect that mediawiki would be both easier to maintain, have human-friendly links by default, and would provide this feature automatically.
That doesn't mean everyone needs to be given edit capabilities.

Moving everything over might be a burden. Last time I copied out all the indices (for using in a pRNG for random page selection, certainly nothing official, but it's how I picked the pages I would inform you of problems with in "Typos"), there were 5433 articles, including stubs. And stubs being shown intact at the bottom might not be manageable, (but these days Wikipedia will show the first paragraph of a link if you hover over the link, so that may be as good or better.)
We can tell which articles have been recently edited (using the internal content management system). But this only lists the last thirty or so edits, which can be easily exceeded in a week or less.

Incidentally the edit to the Technocalypse article was a change to the dating of this event; it now occurs in 565 AT, rather than 521 AT. I've also edited most of the articles associated with this event, and the articles describing the colonisation of several worlds also needed to be updated to rationalise the launch dates of the spacecraft concerned (but I didn't announce those changes yet; these will be announced when I finalise the colonisation spreadsheet).