The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Bacteria Use Brainlike Bursts of Electricity to Communicate
Apparently bacteria can communicate and collectively make decisions (LINK), despite lacking brains, or even neurons for that matter. The comparisons with the Sephirotic Noosphere are obvious.
Excellent! I wonder if this would work underground, in the deep hot biosphere.
I have noticed that Stephen Baxter is using the idea of a subterranean noosphere in his Proxima trilogy- he even calls it that.
Quotes from the article:

“I think these are arguably the most important developments in microbiology in the last couple years,” said Ned Wingreen, a biophysicist who researches quorum sensing at Princeton. “We’re learning about an entirely new mode of communication.”

“Basically, we’re observing a primitive form of action potential in these biofilms,” Süel said. “From a mathematical perspective they’re both exactly the same. It’s just that one is much faster.”
(12-27-2018, 11:00 PM)stevebowers Wrote: Excellent! I wonder if this would work underground, in the deep hot biosphere.
I have noticed that Stephen Baxter is using the idea of a subterranean noosphere in his Proxima trilogy- he even calls it that.

It it did, it might form the basis for, or at least be a component of, BioGeoComputing substrates.

Todd