The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Tractor Beam?
I found a paper where researchers at the Tel-Aviv university created a helical laser beam that can push and pull carbon particles at 0.5 cm.

https://www.osapublishing.org/optica/ful...&id=386023
Ever make mistakes in life? Let's make them birds. Yeah, they're birds now.

~ Bob Ross

InterestingSmile I've heard of 'optical tractor beams' pulling particles toward the beam before (in another article someone linked to here, probably), but this seems like a step up in the control department. I freely admit there were large swathes that were over my head, but I think I got the gist.

Todd
Definitely interesting, it also seems they can control the velocity of which the particle can be pushed or pulled.

~ Bob Ross

I know this thread is kinda dead, but what would be some possible applications of such a thing in OA?

~ Bob Ross

(11-12-2018, 10:41 AM)Vaktus Wrote: I know this thread is kinda dead, but what would be some possible applications of such a thing in OA?

Fine positioning of elements in a fab.
Optical tweezers aren't really tractor beams in any sense. They don't scale beyond microscopic samples and require a laser on both sides compared to the usual SF single emitter working on macroscale objects. In OA they could possibly be used in interesting ways for micro-satellites in vacuum, or manufacturing components behind a wake shield.
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
Optical cooling by laser beam is another useful application of this technology. Laser cooling would be everyday technology in 11K.
But it seems necessary to surround the target with a number of emitters (probably at least two) so it wouldn't work like a tractor beam at any significant distance.