The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Gorilla and Orangutan Brains: Implications for Human Evolution
This article (click here) describes how the human brain is simply a larger, scaled-up version of the Ape brain, with roughly the same biological architecture.
Interesting read, thank you.

I feel immaturely obligated to point out that brains are not the only scale-up from primates, there's also an increase in male anatomy.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer
----------------------

"Everbody's always in favor of saving Hitler's brain, but when you put it in the body of a great white shark, oh, suddenly you've gone too far." -- Professor Farnsworth, Futurama
In some respects, yes. Our penises are larger, but our testicles are far smaller. These changes appear to have been caused by different mating strategies used by humans and other primates.
(09-06-2018, 08:26 PM)Cray Wrote: Interesting read, thank you.

I feel immaturely obligated to point out that brains are not the only scale-up from primates, there's also an increase in male anatomy.

Funny! On a semi-serious note, I remember reading somewhere that one postulated reason for the shape of the glans penis is to scrape out the semen of competitors. Also, not all primates are the same in this respect; IIRC, gorilla testicles are smaller than those of humans. Presumably because they have a fairly common system of one dominant male with a harem. Chimps, and even more so bonobos, do things rather differently. No idea about orangutans.
(09-06-2018, 08:41 PM)extherian Wrote: Our penises are larger, but our testicles are far smaller.

This statement led me to perform some internet image searches I never would've imagined myself performing when I was dialing up to BBS's decades ago and thinking of the future.

Younger Self: "What's the future like, geezer self? Will everyone be using online bulletin board systems in the future?"

Geezer Self: "Yes, younger self, and they will be united in a grand thing called The Internet, which freely provides all of humanity's collective knowledge and pr0n in one place. As an example of both, I was just researching pictures of monkey nuts."

Younger Self: "..."
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer
----------------------

"Everbody's always in favor of saving Hitler's brain, but when you put it in the body of a great white shark, oh, suddenly you've gone too far." -- Professor Farnsworth, Futurama