The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Altered Carbon
What do you guys think of the new Netflix series Altered Carbon?: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altered_Ca...TV_series) 

I’ve watched most of it over this weekend and have really enjoyed it. The production values are fantastic, ten years ago a blockbuster cyberpunk film wouldn’t look as good as this show.

They’ve changed a fair bit from the books but the core of the story is still all there. The world feels real and very gritty. There are naked bodies on display every episode but rather than feeling erotic it all gives a sickening impression at how this society sees people as meat. Something that backs up the central technology of the show; mindstate chips that allow people to transfer to new bodies (the rich keeping vaults of clones with expensive remote back ups while the poor can spend years in a queue until a crappy criminal body becomes available).
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
I watched the first episode last night and enjoyed it. I've added it to my watchlist and may take a stab at the books as well on my next buying binge.

ToddSmile
I quite like Richard Morgan; reading his books was a source of inspiration for my series of Lefty Muligan stories.
(02-05-2018, 01:10 AM)Rynn Wrote: (the rich keeping vaults of clones with expensive remote back ups while the poor can spend years in a queue until a crappy criminal body becomes available).

The series drove that home in episode 1 when with just a few lines: the 7-year old girl getting re-sleeved in a 60-year old body, crying to her shocked parents as the protagonist walks by.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer
----------------------

"Everbody's always in favor of saving Hitler's brain, but when you put it in the body of a great white shark, oh, suddenly you've gone too far." -- Professor Farnsworth, Futurama
(02-09-2018, 12:19 AM)Cray Wrote: The series drove that home in episode 1 when with just a few lines: the 7-year old girl getting re-sleeved in a 60-year old body, crying to her shocked parents as the protagonist walks by.

No kidding. That was a brutal, tiny inclusion that spoke volumes. Overall I think the show did an amazing job at adapting the book with things like this given that so much of the book's text is the protagonist's internal monologue. Introducing the idea that he hallucinates old acquaintances due to personality fraging, moving minor characters into support roles and slice of life scenes like this are all really good at conveying the same knowledge and feeling.
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!