The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

The Singularity is near...
OK, First Singularity for OA devotees. Enjoy:

http://www.sciencealert.com/google-s-ai-...-by-humans
Be honest, your first thought upon reading this was "Hey, maybe I will get to be immortal!"
Well, it was mine, anyway Tongue

My lifelong goal: To add "near" to my "baseline" classification.

Lucid dreaming: Because who says baseline computronium can't run virches?
(12-04-2017, 09:11 PM)Alphadon Wrote: Be honest, your first thought upon reading this was "Hey, maybe I will get to be immortal!"
Well, it was mine, anyway Tongue

Mine was "cool! Wait...hmm...if this kind of technology develops over the next few years and does accelerate automation...we're totally not ready as a society for that."

I'm increasingly pessimistic about technology like this lately. Not because of some terminator style scenario but because of an extreme wealth inequality one.
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
We're already deep in the Singularity. We command energies, materials, wealth, and information at levels that would beggar the imagination of humans 200-300 years ago.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer
----------------------

"Everbody's always in favor of saving Hitler's brain, but when you put it in the body of a great white shark, oh, suddenly you've gone too far." -- Professor Farnsworth, Futurama
I spent 2 years sometime ago doing a part time MSc in Data Analytics & Computer Science thinking I was future proofing my job. More fool me  Dodgy
The creation and proliferation of useful AIs, even if said AI are just non self aware so called "expert systems" has the potential to be the biggest thing since the invention of agriculture.
(12-05-2017, 03:23 AM)Rhea47 Wrote: The creation and proliferation of useful AIs, even if said AI are just non self aware so called "expert systems" has the potential to be the biggest thing since the invention of agriculture.

The point is, I think, that we really have no idea what causes self-awareness - other than sufficient complexity in the computing system (such as a brain) embodying it. Humans are self-aware; it's also likely that a select group of other animals (all the great apes, orcas and dolphins, probably elephants, maybe other whales) are also self-aware to some degree.

AFAIK the biggest of computing systems are way past the computing power threshold already, although most of them aren't designed for the sort of thing (discovering classifications and connections, generalising from the particular) that probably leads to consciousness. However, some are; the list includes Watson, Wolfram Alpha and probably Google's algorithms taken as a whole.

I think it's quite likely that true AI will arise almost by accident, as a result of the fact that the abilities of the system embodying it are useful to us on the way. You'll be talking to Siri one fine day and realise you're talking to something sapient.