The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Retiring VoicesOA.net and OA Stories Page
Hello all,

Just a quick note to let you know that the voicesoa.net domain is being retired in early August.

For those who may not be familiar with it, the voicesoa domain originally hosted the OA e-zine Voices: Future Tense and a number of OA stories are still located on the site.

When the domain is shut down, the stories hosted there will be temporarily unavailable. We are currently working to copy all of the content into temporary storage and will then be loading it back into OA using our Content Management System.

As part of this process, we may also be making some other changes to how we organize the Stories page, but that is still being discussed.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of the above, please don't hesitate to post them. here.

Thanks!

Todd
(07-18-2017, 01:24 PM)Drashner1 Wrote: Hello all,

Just a quick note to let you know that the voicesoa.net domain is being retired in early August.

When the domain is shut down, the stories hosted there will be temporarily unavailable.

Hi Todd, if you talk about this web http://www.voicesoa.net/  i archived a few pages. I like to save pages, and that way they are still available. Do you like to archive pages too?
I can't say I really 'like' archiving pages, although I may do so if I want to use them as a reference for later or to retain a record for the project.

In this case, I think our plan is to transfer the content from voicesoa.net into our CMS and then probably recreate and then archive the ezine issues for our records while retaining the individual stories on the main stories page.

We are also discussing some ideas for highlighting stories on the site again, to one degree or another.

Todd
Here you have the pages i archived: https://archive.is/www.voicesoa.net :thumbsup:
Thanks for these. However, I've already copied nearly all the pages into Google Docs (should be done with the rest later this week) and at that point we'll recreate them in the CMS.

I don't think we'll need to keep the original pages for anything. Although someone on the Board may disagree with me on that.

I'll check with the Board and see if we should keep them for something.

Todd
It's always good to keep backups. Just in case.
Selden
(07-20-2017, 07:42 PM)selden Wrote: It's always good to keep backups. Just in case.

Hm. Fair point.

I've just completed copying the last of the voicesoa.net stories.

I'll next see about copying or uploading the archived files.

Thanks!

Todd
I think the web is finally down. "500 internal server error". I only saved 130 urls in archive.
Or maybe are temporary failures.
I checked and it seems to be working fine now.

The message we got on this gives us until 8/4 before the site will shut down. So we've got a bit of time yet.

Thanks!

Todd
(07-19-2017, 08:37 PM)Avengium Wrote: Here you have the pages i archived: https://archive.is/www.voicesoa.net :thumbsup:

Just a quick update.

I've moved these pages into my Google Drive and will be shifting them over to the project's Drive after a bit of organizing.

Thanks!

Todd