The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

We are Legion (We are Bob)
I saw it on amazon. I will probably pick it up.
(07-04-2017, 11:09 AM)Drashner1 Wrote:
(07-04-2017, 07:10 AM)Alphadon Wrote: This fossil right here.
Personally, I don't think it makes much sense.
Incidentally, would that article happen to have been published on Sandberg's birthday?

What specifically doesn't make sense to you?

Todd

The sheer absurdity of the idea that anyone alive today will survive in any form ten thousand years in the future, let alone anyone who isn't famous.

My lifelong goal: To add "near" to my "baseline" classification.

Lucid dreaming: Because who says baseline computronium can't run virches?
(07-11-2017, 05:29 AM)Alphadon Wrote: The sheer absurdity of the idea that anyone alive today will survive in any form ten thousand years in the future, let alone anyone who isn't famous.

I agree it's a silly article, likely put in by Alan as a thankyou/homage to Anders who contributed so much to the setting in the early days. In that respect it's a bit of an easter egg. But it doesn't state Anders is alive in the setting, it states that some obscure sect began worshiping a characterbot of him (one which was a hoax so definitely not him) and that a lineage of entities decended from that characterbot. Personally I wouldn't mind if we deleted it as it does run against the way we do things now, but also I wouldn't mind if we kept it so long as it was tweaked a bit to still be a homage but not be so blatant. Like changing the name to Sanders Anberg or something.
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
I agree with Rynn. Also maybe we could write in "  Ghost Net "  if we don't want it for the EG. Wink
Don't forget that a high-level archailect can create a being which is indistinguishable from the original, even so far as it can determine itself. There's been at least one story written which makes use of this.
Selden
The article about Anders
http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/45f483e195275
was no doubt written by Alan Kazlev as a joke or tribute, and maybe we should change it somewhat. The idea of a transcended charactersimm is a fairly good idea, but there's no real reason why Anders should be the only subject of such an event, or even a particularly noteworthy one.
I love the Bobverse. I've got book 3 on preorder.

It's a fun look at a future world where an upload wanders the galaxy in slower-than-light ships, pulling a Von Neumann. Threats include a few other upload ships, crazy humans on Earth, and aliens. Because of personality drift with each upload, the Bobs have varying interest. Some stick around to uplift primitive aliens, or terraform a planet, or battle star system-looting aliens. It's fairly hard science and consistent within its own set of fictional technologies, which include an FTL communication system.

It does overlap OA in some ways: uploads, von Neumann ships, 3D printers, and what can be accomplished. Or go wrong.

If I had to nitpick anything, it seems that the author underestimates the resources of star systems. Building a few starships can severely deplete available resources, and fleets of relatively small alien ships can plunder every bit of metal in the system.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer
----------------------

"Everbody's always in favor of saving Hitler's brain, but when you put it in the body of a great white shark, oh, suddenly you've gone too far." -- Professor Farnsworth, Futurama