The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Merchant Princes Series
Has anyone read the Merchant Princes series by Charles Stross? There were originally six books that were heavily edited and re-released as three volumes a couple of years ago. A second trilogy, set twenty years after the events of the first, has just started with the first book released last week. I finished it last night and am curious to know if anyone else has enjoyed the world Smile

For those who have no clue what I'm talking about the MP series is an economic, political, Science Fiction thriller. It starts off set in the USA in the early 2000s. The protagonist is a tech journalist who begins to investigate a scam, she quickly gets in way over her head and learns that she is the member of a family that has the hereditary ability to travel between alternate universes. This family, known as the Clan, originate from another timeline where north America is inhabited by medieval kingdoms. They maintain power there by importing technology from the US, as for how they get their hands on it...you'll have to read and find out.
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
I have read the first series. The protagonist isn't the only one over her head. I think the flight of the B-52s definitively proves the Clan was also over its head. Smile
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer
----------------------

"Everbody's always in favor of saving Hitler's brain, but when you put it in the body of a great white shark, oh, suddenly you've gone too far." -- Professor Farnsworth, Futurama