The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Newbie Question
I found OA while looking for novels to read and have spent the past few hours looking through the Encyclopedia, may I ask how deep of a rabbit hole have I stumbled upon?
Well, it is a project that started way back in 2000, and some of the elements (the early colonies described by Anders Sandberg, the Hamiltonian Institute material, and John Dollan's Planet Classification List) are several years older still. Even so, the scenario is constantly being updated, and new elements are being included all the time. It's a big galaxy out there, with plenty to write about.

Oh, and welcome to OA!
Thanks for that, I look forward to seeing what this community has to offer.Big Grin
It's a deep hole. You can get pretty lost in there Big Grin Welcome!
Hi, Welcome to OA!

Some years ago we switched OA over to a new website and a content management system. At that time, we set up about 300 Topics and over 3000 articles. Since then, the project has continued to grow and by this point I wouldn't be surprised if we've doubled the number of articles (at least).

In terms of how long it takes diving around in the rabbit hole to get a full handle on the OA setting...based on past posts from other members, it generally takes about 2-3 weeks of busy reading for someone to do a thorough survey of the site and the setting. That's certainly not a requirement, of course, but that seems to be the average that shakes out based on what people have told us. Of course, they were having great fun in the processSmile

Hope this helps and once again - Welcome to OA!

Todd
It`s like the sign says: Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
Evidence separates truth from fiction.