The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

New reader with a question about wormhole networks
Hi there - Welcome to OA!!

(04-07-2016, 10:13 AM)somnolent Wrote: I just found out about this project and started reading Against a Diamond Sky and reading through the wiki. I enjoy the setting and it's a very cool project.

Thanks! We've been working on OA for a long time and it's always nice to hear that people are enjoying what we're doing . Smile

(04-07-2016, 10:13 AM)somnolent Wrote: I'm very curious about the wormhole network. In particular I'm wondering how common wormholes are in the inner worlds. I made a map of the wormholes listed in the wormhole Gazetteer, I can attach it if anyone is curious. For example, Sol has two wormholes, and Tau Ceti has five. I'm guessing the list isn't comprehensive, but is it the right order of magnitude? Does Sol have only 2 wormholes, or 10, or 100?

Speaking from an editorial perspective, we've historically never really set a hard number for how many WHs are in the Inner Sphere. Usually people would/will just write up a system and put in however many wormholes happened to strike their fancy. At the same time, the total number of WHs in the setting (including the Inner Sphere) is relatively small compared to the total number of stars.

More recently, we've had a discussion about doing a bit of a redesign of the Nexus structure as well as more formally nailing down the number of wormhole gates in the setting. That will probably get incorporated later this year, time permitting. Although, as you'll see in the linked thread, we are still planning to include/incorporate the less structured WH configuration of the Inner Sphere.

Re your map - That's coolSmile By all means, we're happy to take a look at it.

Re the wormholes described so far not being a comprehensive list - The short answer is 'yes and no' Smile

More specifically, at this particular moment in the current incarnation of the setting, there are only two wormholes at Sol and five at Tau Ceti. But if someone were to write up a new solar system and wanted it to have a wormhole link to Tau Ceti, we'd most likely be fine with that. Sol would be a bit harder sell since it's a backwater and little visited, but if a sufficiently compelling case could be made, we'd likely go along with it. In either case, we'd basically retcon the setting, after which the revised number of wormhole gates would have 'always been how history worked out' by the OA 'Present Day' (10,600 years in the future, more or less).

Thinking about it, I actually want to say that there's a third WH leading into Sol from somewhere connected with the Institute for Primate Provolution, but I can't find the reference at the moment.

There are also likely wormholes mentioned in individual articles that aren't in the Gazetteer, although we do try to keep that current.

(04-07-2016, 10:13 AM)somnolent Wrote: There are some places where the gates listed don't match the gates listed on the system's page. I know I'm not allowed to edit the wiki, but I'd like to help clean up discrepancies where possible.

Certainly! And thank you for the helpSmile If you could post a list or the instances where things aren't matching up, we can work on fixing it.

(04-07-2016, 10:13 AM)somnolent Wrote: My map makes me want to dream up a travelogue of some baseline traveling along the large wormhole chain. It's a setting with a lot of possibilities Smile

Very much soBig Grin Part of the fun of OA (a big part for me) is thinking about life in the setting and discussing how things might look or work for the people living in the future we've imagined. We're always looking to have new folks join the conversation. Please feel free to post your thoughts about traveling the Nexus, or any other aspect of the setting you'd like to explore. Also any questions or concerns you might have about any aspect of the setting. And of course, if you have an idea for an article or two for the EG, we'd be happy to discuss them and see about helping you get them created and added to the OA universe.

Hope this helps, and once again - Welcome to OA Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: New reader with a question about wormhole networks - by Drashner1 - 04-07-2016, 12:14 PM