The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

What other worlds do you have?
(01-18-2016, 09:51 PM)Rynn Wrote: Good to see we all have our own projects, mars in 700 million years seems like a crazy but interesting challenge.

It's implied to be really far off in the future, yeah.
And by the point, Old Earth is looking a little too hot for comfort. Undergoing early Venusification in this particular setting, methinks. And looking completely unEarthlike because of continental drift and all that.
But the Mars map won't have to change much. Except for the erosive effects some seas and a thick atmosphere might have for hundreds of millions of years... as well as a few extinction-level impacts for fun.

(01-18-2016, 09:51 PM)Rynn Wrote: What do people use to keep track of things? I use scriviner which is a great piece of kit for large writing projects. Any time I have an idea I file it away under creatures, religions, societies, laws etc in whatever relevant world.

That sounds like a convenient program. Most of the writing I do is sorted into setting-specific folders in my Google Drive.

So it's shown that many of us are avid worldbuilders. What do you guys do with the settings, though, if anything other than doing it for fun? I usually make these settings for various written roleplays and stories to take place in.
@Drashner1 I have one article up on the SCP Foundation, yes http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2861/comments/show
James Rogers, Professional Idiot
BattleTech. I've got 5 worlds written up in detail in the "A Time of War" roleplaying core book. They're meant to give a 'boots on the ground' feel for being on a selection of typical BT planets. I've got 2 more in the "A Time of War Companion," which has the simplified world-building rules I wrote for the game; the more detailed world building rules I wrote have been delayed from publication pending a shuffle of upcoming books. I also wrote up a lengthy article on Terra and the Solar system for "Jihad Hotspots: Terra," the most recent and detailed look at Terra in the setting. I've got a few systems/micro-states in "Interstellar Expeditions" (3, as I recall). And I wrote several short summaries for the "Masters & Minions" book. I've got a chunk of worlds in upcoming publications.

I'm probably forgetting a few other canonical BattleTech worlds I've contributed.

I've got a bunch of "fanfic" planets on assorted BT forums, but I've stopped writing those because if I use an idea there - i.e., in public, freely released form - it's unsuitable for use in BT canon. The game has been burned by conflicts over intellectual property disputes and is now very cautious.

On the note of non-canon settings, I probably churn out a new GURPS, DnD, Shadowrun, or other RPG setting about every two months between gaming sessions. The adulthood thing has brought jobs, kids, and spouses to my gaming group, and those are oddly reluctant about sharing time with roleplaying activities. Smile So, my brain tends to churn ahead with campaigns and new worlds that will never be used by the infrequent gaming sessions.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer
----------------------

"Everbody's always in favor of saving Hitler's brain, but when you put it in the body of a great white shark, oh, suddenly you've gone too far." -- Professor Farnsworth, Futurama
I have three worlds loosely based on Earth in various stages of development. Best developed is a very near-future Earth (UK, in fact) in which an authentic Asgardian immortal gets dropped in to find out what happened to the Odinist faith. Next is one in which the protagonists semi-inadvertently become involved in the vec rebellion as a result of a firmware "upgrade" (based on American fundamentalist luddite prejudice) which brainscrubs the first self-aware AI. Third is a far-future Earth which has had a cataclysm so severe that magic is thought to work - what is actually happening is that a sporadically functioning ufog network occasionally responds to the right sort of requests.
(01-19-2016, 12:24 PM)Centauri5921 Wrote: @Drashner1 I have one article up on the SCP Foundation, yes http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2861/comments/show

Nifty! Nice article Smile

Todd
(01-18-2016, 11:51 PM)Drashner1 Wrote: ...SCP Foundation...

One thing I noticed is that they seem quite...firm...in their approach to potential new contributions to the project. Was somewhat wondering how that worked in practice.

Todd

My mother always taught me that if I can't say something nice, I shouldn't say anything at all...
Suffice it to say, I find their administrators to be a bunch of [DATA EXPUNGED]. Other than that, they've generated some decent content....a mountain of crap...but some decent content (invoking Sturgeon's Law). I don't know - maybe their experience with new users is different from ours... Maybe that's what's lead to their admins being [REDACTED] all the time.... Who knows? Then again - maybe that's what happens when 90% of your contributors first learned of the site while browsing 4chan?

On the worldbuilding front, a couple of friends of mine and I have two different fantasy settings in the oven currently for use in the occasional D&D game. That's mainly done in-person or over text messages and a data drop-box.

As a solo endeavor, I've got a mountain of unpublished fantasy fiction I've been writing since I was in middle school... It's bullet stopping power is right up there with Feist's Riftwar or Jordan's Wheel of Time. Most of it will be cremated with my remains - unread, if I have my way - because it's just that horrible.

Nothing will knock you down a peg or two quite so quickly as reading something you wrote when you were 14 years old. And if any of you reading this are 14 years old, that goes for you too. I mean - I love you, I embrace you as a fellow creator, I hope you continue writing for the rest of your life....but when you get all old and mean and look back on the stuff you are writing now....it'll make you flinch like you've been gut-punched.
(08-18-2016, 05:51 PM)rom65536 Wrote:
(01-18-2016, 11:51 PM)Drashner1 Wrote: ...SCP Foundation...

One thing I noticed is that they seem quite...firm...in their approach to potential new contributions to the project. Was somewhat wondering how that worked in practice.

Todd

My mother always taught me that if I can't say something nice, I shouldn't say anything at all...
Suffice it to say, I find their administrators to be a bunch of [DATA EXPUNGED]. Other than that, they've generated some decent content....a mountain of crap...but some decent content (invoking Sturgeon's Law). I don't know - maybe their experience with new users is different from ours... Maybe that's what's lead to their admins being [REDACTED] all the time.... Who knows? Then again - maybe that's what happens when 90% of your contributors first learned of the site while browsing 4chan?

On the worldbuilding front, a couple of friends of mine and I have two different fantasy settings in the oven currently for use in the occasional D&D game. That's mainly done in-person or over text messages and a data drop-box.

As a solo endeavor, I've got a mountain of unpublished fantasy fiction I've been writing since I was in middle school... It's bullet stopping power is right up there with Feist's Riftwar or Jordan's Wheel of Time. Most of it will be cremated with my remains - unread, if I have my way - because it's just that horrible.

Nothing will knock you down a peg or two quite so quickly as reading something you wrote when you were 14 years old. And if any of you reading this are 14 years old, that goes for you too. I mean - I love you, I embrace you as a fellow creator, I hope you continue writing for the rest of your life....but when you get all old and mean and look back on the stuff you are writing now....it'll make you flinch like you've been gut-punched.

Tbh you should visit it again? Like its honestly not too bad, idk what the situation was in '12
James Rogers, Professional Idiot
I have another world with @Jakeukalane http://jakeukalane.deviantart.com called "Milegu".
Is a kind of multiverse with infinite types of "Planes" or universes. This multiverse is around the idea of "infinite" and have a lot of impossible worlds mixed with possible worlds.

This is the version in spanish: http://tuscriaturas.blogia.com

And this is the group / gallery in deviantArt with the description in english: http://hypogripho-dorado.deviantart.com

The setting has a lot of in-universe "neologisms" and OA reminds me in some way. Big Grin
Sorry for the repeat post - corrected.
For most of my life, I made a big worldbuilding project for a bunch of star systems located near the galactic core. Looking back it was barely hard sci fi with wormholes and a bunch of alien chemistries that are probably impossible. I think i'll introduce a few characters from that into OA at some point (adapted into physically possible neogen clades, or something).
I think my favorite idea from that set of worldbuilding stories was probably the 'world trees' that had colonized the entire region/ galaxy. They existed mainly as immense organic space-and planet dwelling trees 1-5 km tall. They were 'poly-multicelled' organisms, which meant they were essentially immense fused ecologies- usually tree shaped that somehow managed to grow into spacecraft. They were supposed to have some vast alien collective intelligence (similar to the planet solaris by stanislaw lem) and grew huge magastructures.
Fun times.

The other big worldbuilding story i've done (am still making?) is a giant fantasy world/ universe based mostly on new age mythology- with crystal space dragons and 'innerspace' rather than outer space. Characters traveled to innerspace through a type of elaborate astral projection into the dreamworld, which had multiple levels, (dream within a dream). I've got a bunch of half finished stories, but it's probably still best represented through images- basically, if a Tool music video became a space opera.