The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

How was your trip?
Hi,

I'm calling on everyone who recently signed up to tell me what their registration experience was like. We've added a couple of steps to screen out bots, but of course there's the risk in that of annoying humans*. So, how was your signing-in experience?

*or any of you turing-grade AIs who might possibly be members at this point :-)
Stephen
For registration, my experience was kind of normal as compared to other forum boards. You register, get approved by admin/mods, then on probation for a certain number of posts. Probation meaning that until a sufficient number of posts have been approved by admin/mods, all posts have to be approved by admin/mods until the newbie proves worthy of not needing approval before posts are visible to members.

For signing in, I have yet to have any problems after my membership was approved.

Overall, the only bad thing I can say about registering and signing in is "Everthing is just peachy." Or in other words, "No problems whatsoever. Thanks."

Otherwise, since I am still new here, I am not posting much since I am still browsing through the threads and posts.

rmfr
First post, I hope I'm not starting a new thread. I'm 72, American Expat living in Cambodia, retired linguist. Any suggestions of things I might talk about or do? Thanks.
(02-21-2016, 08:44 PM)Frank Merton Wrote: First post, I hope I'm not starting a new thread. I'm 72, American Expat living in Cambodia, retired linguist. Any suggestions of things I might talk about or do? Thanks.

Hi! Welcome to the OA group. Don't worry too much about whether you start a new thread or not, we're pretty relaxed here. If you have a background in linguistics, then our whole set of articles and topics on language is something you might consider adding too, sprucing, up, or whatever else.
Stephen
I missed this post earlier. Welcome to the group and as Stephen says, please feel free to start or join any thread that strikes your fancySmile

Todd
(04-24-2013, 09:59 AM)Matterplay1 Wrote: Hi,

I'm calling on everyone who recently signed up to tell me what their registration experience was like. We've added a couple of steps to screen out bots, but of course there's the risk in that of annoying humans*. So, how was your signing-in experience?

*or any of you turing-grade AIs who might possibly be members at this point :-)

Can I take a moment of your time to tell you the good word about Jesus Christ?
He has a friend who is a Nigerian prince....

Tongue Big Grin Angel

Registration was okay. I don't recall any problems.

Rather than start a new thread, I'd like to pose a question here.
The Latin word "gens" means clan, family, stock, race, tribe, people, nation, descendant, etc. Hence the OA term "Terragens." Meaning, of course, all the clades and provolves and what not whose ancestors came from Terra.

However, in the EG I frequently come across "Terragen." Is there a reason for dropping the 's' or is this a typo that has become habitual?

Edit note: I wrote "Terrangen" instead of "Terragen." In effect, adding a typo to the typo. I believe they call this a misstaek. Mistack. Error.
Frequently? That seems like a typo. Can you post examples in this thread for the editors to check: http://www.orionsarm.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=678

Thanks

Also don't worry about making new threads, even for minor issues. If you have a bunch of comments/questions at once it's best to clump them together but otherwise go ahead. Well tell you if there's a problem Wink
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
(03-02-2016, 01:46 PM)Matterplay1 Wrote:
(02-21-2016, 08:44 PM)Frank Merton Wrote: First post, I hope I'm not starting a new thread. I'm 72, American Expat living in Cambodia, retired linguist. Any suggestions of things I might talk about or do? Thanks.

Hi! Welcome to the OA group. Don't worry too much about whether you start a new thread or not, we're pretty relaxed here. If you have a background in linguistics, then our whole set of articles and topics on language is something you might consider adding too, sprucing, up, or whatever else.

Yeah! Great! Start a thread about linguistics if you've a mind to. I'm sure many of us will want to read it. And I like Matterplay1's suggestion that you check out our EG articles on the subject with an eye to editing, etc. We'd certainly appreciate it.

Oh, and "Hello" by the way.
(03-03-2016, 02:20 AM)Rynn Wrote: Frequently? That seems like a typo. Can you post examples in this thread for the editors to check: http://www.orionsarm.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=678

Thanks

Also don't worry about making new threads, even for minor issues. If you have a bunch of comments/questions at once it's best to clump them together but otherwise go ahead. Well tell you if there's a problem Wink

Done. Submitted examples from 2 EG articles. I would theorize, due to the consistency of the error within an article, that the author perhaps believes that "Terragen" is correct. There is no Latin word "gen." AFAIK.

(Oh, good grief! I just pictured a goose running around yelling "AFAIK!" That's now stuck in my head. Oh, the humanity!)
That would be me, I'm afraid. I know the correct derivation from Latin is Terragens, but I happen to prefer terragen. The 'gens' ending sounds like a plural noun, when I want to use it as an adjective (the Terragen Sphere).