The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Love what you have here ^^
Hello all!

My name is Julia. I first encountered the OAUP last year, and I was absolutely fascinated by the universe you guys have created. It took a while to work up to this, since I can be pretty shy sometimes, but I'd love to get involved.

I'm a writer, professional artist, and huge sci-fi enthusiast. I've been in the process of developing my own novel-length SF story, but right now it's an isolated idea with no connected universe. If possible, I'd be interested in adapting it to OA.

Aside from that, some of my ideal contributions to the site would be short stories, artwork (for the website itself, even - banners and such), and maybe even audio dramas eventually (my husband is an experienced sound designer and composer). I'm also learning how to make games on the Unity engine, so I think it'd be fun to make an OA game at some point.

My one concern is whether or not I could sell the work I do. I *love* the thought of creating things that are part of a larger, collaborative universe, and I would love to benefit the OAUP as a whole. So I wouldn't mind splitting any proceeds from sales. However, if I go beyond making the occasional artwork, I'd need to see some kind of return on my efforts.

I'm sure there's a way though. And in the meantime, I haven't read nearly as much of the encyclopedia as I should. So I'm gonna make that one of my projects!

Happy to be aboard! Smile
I'm on Twitter!
Also Facebook!
And Pinterest!
(I'm pretty much everywhere)
(04-19-2015, 11:44 AM)emalin212 Wrote: Hello all!

My name is Julia. I first encountered the OAUP last year, and I was absolutely fascinated by the universe you guys have created. It took a while to work up to this, since I can be pretty shy sometimes, but I'd love to get involved.

Hi there! Welcome to OA!

We're a pretty friendly bunch around here (occasionally debates can get a little intense, but that's the exception rather than the rule) so please, don't be shy, either on general principles or if you have any questions or concerns about any aspect of the project of the setting.

(04-19-2015, 11:44 AM)emalin212 Wrote: I'm a writer, professional artist, and huge sci-fi enthusiast. I've been in the process of developing my own novel-length SF story, but right now it's an isolated idea with no connected universe. If possible, I'd be interested in adapting it to OA.

Nifty! Along with wearing many other hats, I happen to be one of the editors for Voices:Future Tense, the OA ezine. We're always happy to consider new stories and that sound you hear is me jumping up and down with glee that another author has chosen to become involved with the projectBig Grin

As far as adapting a story to OA, that's very possible, and we've done similar things with authors in the past. OA is a very large setting and we're generally able to accommodate just about any type of story idea you can think of with a bit of tweaking.

(04-19-2015, 11:44 AM)emalin212 Wrote: Aside from that, some of my ideal contributions to the site would be short stories, artwork (for the website itself, even - banners and such), and maybe even audio dramas eventually (my husband is an experienced sound designer and composer). I'm also learning how to make games on the Unity engine, so I think it'd be fun to make an OA game at some point.

All sounds goodSmile Please feel free to post any ideas, questions, concerns, or random notions you may have about any of these things to the relevant sub-forum. You might also want to take a look at our 'How to Contribute' page. It's actually going to be getting an update in the near future (it's a little dated and needs some upgrading), but the basic concepts are all going to remain the same. And if you have any questions about it, please don't hesitate to ask.

(04-19-2015, 11:44 AM)emalin212 Wrote: My one concern is whether or not I could sell the work I do. I *love* the thought of creating things that are part of a larger, collaborative universe, and I would love to benefit the OAUP as a whole. So I wouldn't mind splitting any proceeds from sales. However, if I go beyond making the occasional artwork, I'd need to see some kind of return on my efforts.

I'm sure there's a way though. And in the meantime, I haven't read nearly as much of the encyclopedia as I should. So I'm gonna make that one of my projects!

Happy to be aboard! Smile

We're certainly not averse to potential commercial arrangements of some sort. The OAUP is actually a non-profit corporation, so any proceeds on our side go into the organization, not to individual members. However, we have done a couple of books (story collections created via a contest process) in the past that were set up so authors (who were also members) could receive monies from book sales. The returns have been rather modest, but we are quite happy to work with folks to come to a mutually beneficial agreement if/when the opportunity arisesSmile

Anyway, all stuff that can be discussed in more detail whenever you'd like. Have fun exploring the Encyclopedia Galactica (and don't forget to pack a lunch; it's not unheard of for the EG to induce long sleepless nights of archive diving) and once again: Welcome to OASmile

Todd
Welcome to the forums Smile were always looking for artwork and stories, hope you enjoy your time here!
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!