The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

A proper introduction
You may have seen my other thread, which I won't retread here, but I gather that one's first post being outside here is relatively uncommon; so I figure it'd be best to actually introduce myself.

I've been a reader of Orion's Arm and the Encyclopedia Galactica on and off for a while, as this account's age attests, but this is the first time I've worked up the nerve to actually fully participate.

I'm a woman (I typically go by Zinzrinz or Elia) who's been interested in space all her life, and I'm hoping to be able to do some nice constructive things here- while I currently have an article idea under construction, I'd like to assist others at least a little before posting that. Any advice on where to start on that? I've been looking through the EG Articles and General Setting Discussion subforums a bit to assist in proofreading or workshopping there, but nothing's really jumped out at me....
Welcome Zinzrinz/Elia! glad you're enjoying the setting Smile
offering constructive criticism to the other people writing here is exactly what we hope for (and also makes us more that much more eager to offer you help in return) , so thank you for that!

EG Articles and the General Setting Discussion subforums are where most of the activity happens on this forum..
we recently added small icons, seen on the left, in the EG subforum which indicate the progress of any given article.

the meaning is explained here, or if you hover over the icons when you prepare to make a post
https://www.orionsarm.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=6436

so, all threads with a yellow clock icon are waiting for some kind of feedback or for the original author to post a new draft.

in terms of wide impact on the setting, but still very, very open to suggestions and brainstorming, there's this thread, if you're interested

caretaker gods (rewriting one of the sephirotic empires)
https://www.orionsarm.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3866

if you feel like making any funny suggestions, there's
the Santarchai
https://www.orionsarm.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=6313

if you feel like dealing with something involving more astrophysics,

the once and for all
https://www.orionsarm.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=5268

if you think you can come up with good myths, there's
the three and the one
https://www.orionsarm.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=6386

as a starting point for ideas , if any interest you
[Image: Gaylien1.png]
if you just feel like dealing with wordsmithing, threads with the white lego brick icon are in that stage of writing, usually

anyway, feel free to ask whatever questions you like and comment on whatever threads  (or articles, art, or stories) you feel might need it
[Image: Gaylien1.png]
Welcome to OA! I have also been interested in space all my life, tho unlike you I only discovered OA around two years ago…

Thank you Worldtree for mentioning the Three and the One. I’ve been kind of lost and would love the extra guidance! It’s ok if you cannot help tho, I understand.

Anyways, hope you enjoy your time here! ^.^
Yes Worldtree, I see your Rainbow  Rainbow Alien
Welcome to the forums (again Big Grin)!

In terms of helping out, offering ideas and suggestions during the development phase of new ideas on the EG and General Setting Discussion forums is also welcome. These can take a lot of forms but may include things like - pointing out an issue no one seems to be catching, pointing out ramifications or 'bigger picture' impacts of an idea (positive or negative) that could be folded into an article, suggesting some other element of an idea that could enhance it further.

All of us working together are smarter than any one of us alone - so we are generally good with all the help we can get. Smile

Todd
Introverts of the World - Unite! Separately....In our own homes.
Ah- thanks, all of you! Will certainly see what I can do as time goes on. o7
Just curious: what interests you the most about Orion's Arm? Transhumanism? Advanced technology? The vast scale of it all? The excitement?

Personally, it was mostly OAUP's exploration of transhumanism that attracted me to this project and convinced me to join. Plenty of other Sci-Fi projects (like Endless Sky) explore advanced technology, but OAUP was something new.
(10-16-2024, 06:59 PM)DSPE Wrote: Just curious: what interests you the most about Orion's Arm? Transhumanism? Advanced technology? The vast scale of it all? The excitement?

Personally, it was mostly OAUP's exploration of transhumanism that attracted me to this project and convinced me to join. Plenty of other Sci-Fi projects (like Endless Sky) explore advanced technology, but OAUP was something new.

I think what initially drew me to the site, all the way back, was honestly just the fact that it was a collaborative project and as such had a lot of varied writing from a lot of people? But right now, I think it's the scale- while it's basically impossible to capture the breadth of a billion star systems and ten thousand years (unless you're past a few toposophic barriers, I suppose), Orion's Arm comes closer to really understanding it than basically everything else I've read.