The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

A few questions about Orion's Arm
I have a few questions.

1. Who is the oldest Terragen being?
2. What is the farthest distance a Terragen being has traveled from Earth?
(06-24-2022, 11:58 AM)Gann the Derpimann Wrote: I have a few questions.

Hi, Welcome to OA!

Please feel free to join in on any discussions that grab your interest or start new ones if you are so inclined.

I normally also tell new members to feel free to ask us questions, but you've obviously already got that part down. Big Grin

Re your specific questions:

1. We don't have any 'officially oldest' named being in the setting. But the oldest Sephirotic empires (as currently written - things change sometimes around here) were founded in the 1700-2300 AT time frame and the 'present day' in OA is 10,600 AT. The ruling archai of those empires weren't at the same S-level as they are now, but were likely some form of transapient. So they are all likely in the 8000 yrs old plus range, roughly speaking.

There is/are also this being/clade of beings who are determined to 'live forever or die trying' (LINK) which claims to be older still (although whether anyone really believes them is a matter of some debate).

2. The Terragen Bubble is constantly expanding at a substantial fraction of the speed of light, so the answer to this is constantly changing. However, we generally consider 10,600 AT to be the 'present day' for the setting (more or less) - and referring to the second graph on this page - we see that Terragens have reached around 9300-9500 light years from Sol (with a bit of help from pre-existing xenosophont wormholes).

If you only want to consider what Terragens have done on their own, refer to the first graph on the same page which shows a max expansion of around 6500 ly or so.

Hope this helps and once again - Welcome to OA! Smile
(06-24-2022, 12:43 PM)Drashner1 Wrote:
(06-24-2022, 11:58 AM)Gann the Derpimann Wrote: I have a few questions.

Hi, Welcome to OA!

Please feel free to join in on any discussions that grab your interest or start new ones if you are so inclined.

I normally also tell new members to feel free to ask us questions, but you've obviously already got that part down. Big Grin

Re your specific questions:

1. We don't have any 'officially oldest' named being in the setting. But the oldest Sephirotic empires (as currently written - things change sometimes around here) were founded in the 1700-2300 AT time frame and the 'present day' in OA is 10,600 AT. The ruling archai of those empires weren't at the same S-level as they are now, but were likely some form of transapient. So they are all likely in the 8000 yrs old plus range, roughly speaking.

There is/are also this being/clade of beings who are determined to 'live forever or die trying' (LINK) which claims to be older still (although whether anyone really believes them is a matter of some debate).

2. The Terragen Bubble is constantly expanding at a substantial fraction of the speed of light, so the answer to this is constantly changing. However, we generally consider 10,600 AT to be the 'present day' for the setting (more or less) - and referring to the second graph on this page - we see that Terragens have reached around 9300-9500 light years from Sol (with a bit of help from pre-existing xenosophont wormholes).

If you only want to consider what Terragens have done on their own, refer to the first graph on the same page which shows a max expansion of around 6500 ly or so.

Hope this helps and once again - Welcome to OA! Smile
Thanks! This was helpful!
Responding to myself from 2 years ago, it is unknown who exactly is the oldest Terragen. Packrats claim to stretch back to Copernicus 28, 8 A.T., tho as per the original article, "it is debatable whether an evocation based on a biosophont's exoself can really claim to be the same person as the original biont." Jonathan Trip Daniels was born all the way back in 375 AT, and is over 10,000 years old. There are also probably some ais who emerged very early on and are still alive.

Packrats: https://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/4ba1012793821
Jonathan 'Trip' Daniels: https://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/57ab393bcf972

As for the furthest a Terragen has ever gone from Earth, this record would probably go to anyone who has been on the other side of the Fargate. Some Metasoft transapients are stated as having gone thru the wormhole. The Fargate is a wormhole discovered by Terragens that leads to an area billions of light years away. It is unknown where this location is, in fact it may even be outside the observable universe.

Fargate: https://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/464b75f9d7171

Anyways, I hope you enjoy your stay here, past me  Big Grin
Haha nice

I’m curious if people don’t count GAIA as the oldest terragen in OA since she’s been a transapient , then archailect but technically the same being since around 600AT.
There would still be older beings such as the aformentioned Jonathan 'Trip' Daniels, born in 375 AT.
A few historical figures were made into evocations and simms, early forms of charactervot, during the Interplanetary Age, and some of these might still be around. The 'Anders Persona' based on Anders Sandberg is supposed to be an example of this, although last time we discussed this entity I think we decided to make it a rumour rather than a real historical figure.
https://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/45f483e195275

There may be a few survivors from the lost generation ships that left Sol during the Sundering; they will have been long dead when recovered, but the damage could be repaired after a fashion, and the reconstituted corpsicle would think they were the same person.
I like how there is a tribute to Anders Sandberg, and Anders Sandberg is still known about in Y11k Big Grin