The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Just steered into port...
(01-31-2022, 11:46 PM)Rynn Wrote: Welcome Smile Slice of life and mental health are two of my favourite topics at OA too. For the former the narrative introductions to certain articles are a great window into the setting. For the latter there are a lot of interesting themes to explore, whether that's what it means to be mentally unhealthy in an age of easy psychosurgery to what kinds of novel disorders may arise from experimental/conflicting augmentations.

Yeah, differing definitions of insanity between, say, the Negentropy Alliance and the Technorapture Hypernation are fascinating to contemplate. I especially think about psychologies that are looked down upon/pitied in today's world and how the social ecologies of the far future might support or even prefer them. Sometimes that juxtaposition is so compelling that I wonder if cryopreservation across millennia could be a viability in this setting, some eccentric or another setting their alarm clock for the Eleventh Millenium and finding themselves adjusting to vastly different standards. Of course, that might be probing too deeply into the near future, but maybe some plot devices could obscure any fatal details?

Messages In This Thread
Just steered into port... - by mawrhinamtiskaw - 01-31-2022, 03:24 PM
RE: Just steered into port... - by Rynn - 01-31-2022, 11:46 PM
RE: Just steered into port... - by mawrhinamtiskaw - 02-01-2022, 04:44 AM
RE: Just steered into port... - by Rynn - 02-02-2022, 08:42 AM
RE: Just steered into port... - by Drashner1 - 02-02-2022, 01:19 PM
RE: Just steered into port... - by Drashner1 - 02-01-2022, 12:33 AM
RE: Just steered into port... - by Worldtree - 02-02-2022, 09:33 AM