The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

The Last Pandemic In Human History
The whole point is that we DON'T have to push the limits in the field any more. We pushed the limits hard this year. And having done so we moved the limits. Using that technique won't be that hard ever again. It will only get easier in the future. And it's not the only new technique that now falls inside the boundary of "limits we've already pushed and which will only get easier to push in the future."

I submit for your approval, the fact that suddenly there is an HIV vaccine with 97% effectiveness. HIV has spent forty years being the hardest target of everything in the world to make a vaccine for, and suddenly, we have one (and eradication couldn't happen to a more deserving pathogen as far as I'm concerned; the casualties include my own cousin and my wife's brother).

This wasn't an mRNA vaccine. This was even more amazing than that. They found a way to target the one-in-a-billion B cells that can produce broadly-immunizing antibodies against HIV, and deliver the stimulus to those cells specifically.

We're getting good enough at making vaccines, and the mRNA technique is only one of the arrows in the quiver, that I don't expect a broad pandemic ever again. If something starts getting widespread, there's going to be a vaccine, within a year starting now, and within a few months starting in the next few years.

There'll still be diseases and people will still die from them. But no one disease is ever going to be able to threaten everybody in the whole world again.

Messages In This Thread
The Last Pandemic In Human History - by Bear - 05-09-2021, 12:04 PM
RE: The Last Pandemic In Human History - by Vitto - 05-10-2021, 12:30 AM
RE: The Last Pandemic In Human History - by Bear - 05-10-2021, 02:54 PM
RE: The Last Pandemic In Human History - by Vitto - 05-10-2021, 04:48 PM
RE: The Last Pandemic In Human History - by Bear - 05-11-2021, 06:51 AM
RE: The Last Pandemic In Human History - by Vitto - 05-11-2021, 07:36 AM
RE: The Last Pandemic In Human History - by Bear - 05-11-2021, 02:50 PM
RE: The Last Pandemic In Human History - by Bear - 05-15-2021, 01:11 AM