The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Interstellar Colonisation - Take your time
(07-25-2013, 01:31 AM)Rynn Wrote:
(07-24-2013, 01:18 PM)AmrlKJaneway Wrote: Thanks for the info Todd, and thanks for the links Dfleymmes! I have some reading to do, and a lot more pondering to do after it!

What an exciting thing the future is!

I don't mean to be pessimistic at all but remember that OA is fiction for fun! Don't get carried away thinking that it is a prediction of the future Smile It's for enjoyment and some of it might be reasonable but if it's thinking about the future you are interested in don't get too caught up in SciFi, or anyone purporting to know with any certainty for that matter.

Lol, cheers!

I realize that! I simply reference OA as the most plausible future of the sci-fi I know, due to the consistent nature and hard sf setting. I know that things will differ greatly, and some things may even be more like other sf properties, and HUGE amounts will be like nothing we have imagined as yet!

But the fantastic thing about OA, is that nothing in the setting is based on pure fantasy. If a technology exists, it is because it already exists in theoretical physics, and has little drawbacks on paper (unlike something like a FTL warp drive, whose papers answer questions on how it could be done, but raise many more about how plausible it is to generate the energy needed, etc.). This is something that franchises like Star Trek, for example, ignore in favour of easy story-telling.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Interstellar Colonisation - Take your time - by AmrlKJaneway - 07-25-2013, 09:55 AM