The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Religious tolerance intolerance?
Oh WoW RP server. This brings back memories. Anyway the problem with inter-faith organizations or in general any organization that promotes understanding between two very different points of view is that it's very hard to actually get people talking and solving problems. Because most of the time the things will just stay the way they were and all you get are empty phrases.

Imagine not-religion example say anti-GMO and pretty much all of scientific community. If you got them into one room it is very, very unlikely that any of them will go out with different view than they had before. At best they will not shout at each other.
No argument from scientist will convince you average GMO hater (booo Monsanto pays yo!) and no argument from GMO hater will convince scientist (OMG That study was refuted 15 times). The views of both parties are incompatible to such degree that any arguments from one side will be irrelevant to the other.

It is similar with religion. While leaders can talk and end the meeting on a good note. The truth is that views of different religious groups are incompatible.
Most Christians believe that Jesus was son of God and most Muslims believe he was just a prophet. In addition to that the general way they understand God and divinity is different. Main theme for Muslims is obedience, for Christians it's mercy (please I know it's simplification but the overall tone of the respective scriptures is very clear and even though most don't act according to it the meme affects their behavior in some way).

But back to your WoW guild. In Azeroth the beliefs and religions are much more compatible than on Terra. Everyone knows Titans exist, everyone knows Old gods exist, everyone knows the Elements exist and everyone knows that the Burning Legion exists. While allegiance differs the existence of respective deities can not be disputed. In a way every one is member of the same meta-religion.

For example my paladin and some orc shaman both believe in in different things. But neither of them can say that others deity doesn't exist. Therefore they have at least one thing they can agree on and so can start to form a deeper connection.

In OA the situation is similar. The God-emperor exists and so does the Judge. Their followers can disagree about validity of each others philosophies but they can not deny others deities power and existence.

I would write more but I'm out of time.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Religious tolerance intolerance? - by Dalex - 08-03-2014, 03:24 AM