The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Copyright question- I hope this isn't as thorny as it feels...
(10-14-2024, 02:59 AM)Worldtree Wrote: also, i wouldn't be surprised if there were very similar groups to each of these, elsewhere in the setting. Or templates for these groups have been imported through the lightways. But more likely there's some group on the periphery call the "Bleckology" and the "Gybiota" who have very similar features without any pesky historical constraints like 'this group originated 5000 light years and 3500 years ago from the star system you want to write about"..

cybiota
https://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/480d35f9a8ecd
Nekology
https://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/480ea40e3cfa8

Heh, also true! I was reticent to go with something like that because unless I had something to say with it 'this strategy has emerged multiple times' might not be in itself interesting, and of course I'm reticent to put too many 'cool' things in the same place for fear of it seeming overloaded (I'm still debating whether a natural garden world in the region is reasonable- probably not, right? There are three within about the right radius of Sol (including Earth), but Earth is naturally going to be overrepresented in such matters due to how much longer there's been to study things... and also because the people who come up with EG articles in the real world are probably from there Tongue)

Oh- one more question. When I do write this up and post it, how far should I go with tweaking the self-indulgent elements (especially the ones I noted earlier)? I'm already planning to dampen them, but for my first draft- is a first draft expected to have elements that might require major revision or removal (which of course I'm personally expecting- I certainly expected the entire concept to not work in the official setting), or should I be aiming for something conservative which I expect to only require minor changes? Particularly with regards to the four I mentioned as 'beyond the pale' earlier- should I include them in the full form I mentioned, remove them first, or something in between?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Copyright question- I hope this isn't as thorny as it feels... - by Tangle10 - 10-14-2024, 05:38 AM