The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Cogs is here, Hi Folks.
In terms of the tacklers you are absolutely right more generally they could be controlled by many other types of minds. My bent towards vecs had to do more with the idea that they would be used in lower tech polities(Of course lowtech could still mean advanced bioengineering in OA). I will create a discussion or an article soon where the idea can be fully fleshed out so I don't clog my arrival page. I do still need to decide on an angle. Some OA articles are written with general or approximate terms, so they can be applied to a wide range and others are very specific to the thing they are describing.

And then to make a final comment on solving the mind body issue, my position is that saying the mind body problem was just solved, is like saying that non-relativistic true FTL travel is possible(In my opinion). I think creating an entity that has none of the neural correlates of human pleasure/pain responses, and perhaps time and space is actually straightforward. But to say concretely that it is known that said entity has no experience of qualia seems to be a bridge too far(for me). I also contest the related point that (even though qualia is unverifiable) certain processes require consciousness or qualia, like some of the advanced engine AIs talked about in OA.

Those are my concluding remarks here. I look forward to continuing the discussions on the forums proper, or on the discord.

Messages In This Thread
Cogs is here, Hi Folks. - by Cogs13 - 03-13-2024, 05:58 AM
RE: Cogs is here, Hi Folks. - by Drashner1 - 03-13-2024, 08:15 AM
RE: Cogs is here, Hi Folks. - by Cogs13 - 03-19-2024, 03:59 AM
RE: Cogs is here, Hi Folks. - by Drashner1 - 03-19-2024, 08:35 AM
RE: Cogs is here, Hi Folks. - by Cogs13 - 03-19-2024, 09:28 AM
RE: Cogs is here, Hi Folks. - by Worldtree - 03-13-2024, 12:04 PM
RE: Cogs is here, Hi Folks. - by Drashner1 - 03-19-2024, 09:04 PM