The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Heya, again
'Lo, again. Contributed a few articles, a few years back, during the mailing-list days. Am adding the forum back to my daily bookmarks, see if I can get comfortable with this interface enough to rejoin the community.

(I haven't been entirely uncreative in the meantime; though I've had a tendency to start long projects that never quite get finished.)
Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat
"Does aₘᵢₙ=2c²/Θ ? I don't know, but wouldn't it be fascinating if it were?"

Welcome back to the forums. Weirdtopia looks well developed, flicking through I like the Ostrich picture, did you do it yourself? Could always do with more rianth/provole pics in OA Big Grin
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
(01-30-2018, 08:48 AM)Rynn Wrote: Welcome back to the forums. Weirdtopia looks well developed, flicking through I like the Ostrich picture, did you do it yourself? Could always do with more rianth/provole pics in OA Big Grin

I'm afraid I'm more of an authour than an artist, and can barely do a decent stick-figure (ie, my new avatar). I'm just sufficiently embedded in the furry-fan social networks that I know who I can ask to use the art of. Smile

In case you're curious - that Weirdtopia story came about because I had a dream of the first scene or so, and tried building a narrative around it.
Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat

Welcome to the forum.
(01-30-2018, 08:55 AM)DataPacRat Wrote: I'm afraid I'm more of an authour than an artist, and can barely do a decent stick-figure (ie, my new avatar). I'm just sufficiently embedded in the furry-fan social networks that I know who I can ask to use the art of. Smile

In case you're curious - that Weirdtopia story came about because I had a dream of the first scene or so, and tried building a narrative around it.

Neat. Given that you've been gone a while is there anything new about OA that takes your interest?
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
(01-30-2018, 09:23 AM)Rynn Wrote:
(01-30-2018, 08:55 AM)DataPacRat Wrote: I'm afraid I'm more of an authour than an artist, and can barely do a decent stick-figure (ie, my new avatar). I'm just sufficiently embedded in the furry-fan social networks that I know who I can ask to use the art of. Smile

Neat. Given that you've been gone a while is there anything new about OA that takes your interest?

I can't really tell how much of OA /is/ new; it's such a large setting that I'm still just re-familiarizing myself with various bits and pieces. Any idea if there's been any work on the Celestia addons in the past few years?
Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat

Hey DPR! Welcome backSmile

Todd
(01-30-2018, 09:33 AM)DataPacRat Wrote: Any idea if there's been any work on the Celestia addons in the past few years?

There have been a few, although perhaps they haven't been created at as a high a rate as in the past. One was the development of a 3D map of the early portion of the Wormhole Nexus. See the article Wormhole Gazetteer. The Addon itself is available at https://www.classe.cornell.edu/%7Eseb/ce...x.html#4.0
Selden
"Life is what happens while you make other plans". Still plan on being a member here and contributing more, just haven't quite had enough time the last few days to even look up Tsiolkovsky's rocket equation.
Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat

(02-03-2018, 03:28 AM)DataPacRat Wrote: "Life is what happens while you make other plans". Still plan on being a member here and contributing more, just haven't quite had enough time the last few days to even look up Tsiolkovsky's rocket equation.

I'll save you the time (unless you've already looked it up).

Delta-vee = Ve * ln®

Where Ve is the rocket's exhaust velocity, ln(x) is the natural logarithm of a number x, and R is the ratio between the mass of the rocket on a full tank and the mass of the rocket on an empty tank.
"And it appeared to Ransom that there might, if a man could find it, be some way to renew the old Pagan practice of propitiating the local gods of unknown places in such fashion that it was no offence to God Himself but only a prudent and courteous apology for trespass."
-C.S. Lewis, Perelandra