The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Ideal clade for the setting of "The long dark"
I have been playing "The long dark" recently.

What would be the ideal modosophont clade to survive in the setting?

What would be the best clade if there only an isolated individual or mind group?

(To explain )

http://hinterlandgames.com/the-long-dark/

(To show what living in the setting is like)

https://www.google.com/amp/kotaku.com/th...id-samsung

(My google search in case I missed a better link)

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+long...:0&xxri=25

(Again, I just play this game, I'm not a developer and I'm not trying to sell it. )
General note as an OA moderator: it's good practice when linking to a topic many members will be unfamiliar with to write your own brief description and not rely on others having to read up themselves. Firstly it's just more polite and secondly it makes it more likely people will engage with your thread.
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
(11-10-2016, 08:24 PM)Rynn Wrote: General note as an OA moderator: it's good practice when linking to a topic many members will be unfamiliar with to write your own brief description and not rely on others having to read up themselves. Firstly it's just more polite and secondly it makes it more likely people will engage with your thread.

Oops.

THE LONG DARK
The Long Dark is a exploration focused survival simulation set in the Northern wilderness in the aftermath of a global disaster.

Imagine the lights go out, never to return. Bright aurora flare across the sky, and all humanity’s technological might is laid to waste, neutralized in a kind of quiet apocalypse. Everything that has shielded humanity from the disinterested power of Mother Nature is suddenly wrenched from us, dropping us a few links down the food chain. Food and water are scarce. The roads are no longer safe. And winter approaches… Welcome to The Long Dark —an immersive survival simulation set in the aftermath of a geomagnetic disaster. Experience a unique first-person survival simulation that will force you to think and push you to your limits with its thought-provoking gameplay and mature storytelling.
In setting:

Basically survival in the winter of Canada in the wilderness. Food must be scavenged or hunted. All heat comes from fire and fire us needed to melt snow, boil water, cook food. Plenty of woodand wildlife, deer, rabbits, bears, wolves. Wolves and bears are hostile.
(11-11-2016, 04:19 AM)QwertyYerty Wrote: Oops.

THE LONG DARK
The Long Dark is a exploration focused survival simulation set in the Northern wilderness in the aftermath of a global disaster.

Imagine the lights go out, never to return. Bright aurora flare across the sky, and all humanity’s technological might is laid to waste, neutralized in a kind of quiet apocalypse. Everything that has shielded humanity from the disinterested power of Mother Nature is suddenly wrenched from us, dropping us a few links down the food chain. Food and water are scarce. The roads are no longer safe. And winter approaches… Welcome to The Long Dark —an immersive survival simulation set in the aftermath of a geomagnetic disaster. Experience a unique first-person survival simulation that will force you to think and push you to your limits with its thought-provoking gameplay and mature storytelling.

For future reference I did say "your own brief description" and not "copy the marketing blurb". The idea is to initiate the discussion yourself.

In any case plenty of OA clades would find this situation trivial to deal with. Ignoring technology that could help like DNIs, medisystems, autofabricator seeds, minibots, wer-cloth suits, omnitools and virtually all cyborg tech there are still plenty of terragen sophonts that could thrive if dumped naked into this situation. Homo Superiors have a naturally enhanced immune system, senses and have so much redundancy designed into them that in a short time they'd become cold, low-calorie adapts. Given their formidable innate intelligence and mental fortitude in a short time an individual or group could go from castaway to iron-age villager. From that basis if there were enough of them to reproduce it would likely only take a few decades of intense work to reach an industrial revolution.

Beyond that plenty of vec and extreme neogen clades would be as comfortable in this situation as a human on a sunny beach. Fabers and Spores would quickly adapt to the conditions and be able to replicate even with limited resources. Being able to make friendly, fully skilled, adult copies de novo would enable them to progress from lone-wanderer to industrial society in no time.

Finally there are a whole bunch of biont clades which, whilst they might find survival tough at first, would have a much better chance of thriving than baseline numans. Siberoos, Dogmen and Tavi all have natural abilities to survive in tougher situations as well as bonuses like enhanced senses, intelligence etc.
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
(11-11-2016, 04:40 AM)Rynn Wrote: For future reference I did say "your own brief description" and not "copy the marketing blurb". The idea is to initiate the discussion yourself.

Noted. Original content and independent summary only. Only use quotes for specific info. Correct?
Just curious. What if it was a nuclear winter instead, and food and wildlife was very scarce and mostly irradiated as a result?

Now that I think about, what clades would enjoy the environment of the Fallout universe the most, since many clades find extreme conditions (at least by baseline standards) trival?