The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Suggestion: "what links here" section
Hi, i think that having a section of "what links here" in the articles is something positive.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help%3AWhat_links_here
This link has info on how "Whats links here" works.
This way, is visible what pages links with the current page and is easier to see the redirections.

Is a feature of the toolbox: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia%3AToolbox

I hope this is useful. Regards. Big Grin
The OA Content Management System is not a wiki so this functionality may not be possible or may be more work than it's worth to set up. That would be a Trond question.

Why do you think it would be a positive to have this functionality in the EG?

Todd
(11-03-2016, 03:05 AM)Drashner1 Wrote: Why do you think it would be a positive to have this functionality in the EG?

Todd

Is a suggestion. I used this function in wikipedia, but this is not a wiki. Shy
Is a functionality to know the redirections and what is linked. A way to administrate the Backlinks and backlinking in the EG.

---
Aside, i found that some minor articles have independent pages, but still have no link. So, the article exist, but is not linked.
An example: Sapphiroid contains the "related" Corundumoid, and Corundumoid in the text (not linked).
And Corundumoid has Sapphiroid in "Related" with no link, and Sapphiroid in the text (not linked).

I know these are minor articles, and possibly unimportant but i like tidy articles.
Idea Possibly Sapphiroid and Corumdumoid needs a merge and the remove of one of the articles, ("Consolidating the EG a Bit") but then this need redirections to the things that links Sapphiroid and Corumdumoid (what links to Sapphiroid and Corumdumoid?) if the removed article has backlinks, this become broken links, and "what links here" is useful.
I can ask Trond about this in our meeting, but it will be up to him to decide if this is practical/desirable as an addition to the setting.

Regarding consolidating articles - the CMS shows what articles are linked to any article we pull up in it. So it won't be a problem if we decide to do this. In text hyperlinks would be obvious of course and also wouldn't be a problem if there were any.

Todd
All 'minor articles' can be displayed as independent pages, so long as you know the alphanumeric title of the page. This is just a peculiar property of the Content Management System we use. However minor articles always show up in the 'related article' box without a link; in this case, you can read the entire article in the 'related article' box without clicking a link.
(11-03-2016, 12:15 PM)Drashner1 Wrote: I can ask Trond about this in our meeting, but it will be up to him to decide if this is practical/desirable as an addition to the setting.

Regarding consolidating articles - the CMS shows what articles are linked to any article we pull up in it. So it won't be a problem if we decide to do this. In text hyperlinks would be obvious of course and also wouldn't be a problem if there were any.

Todd

I had my meeting with Trond last night. This has been added to our site redesign to-do list. I'm not sure when it will actually be implemented, but it is now on the radarSmile

Thanks!

Todd