The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums
My "hard sf" Star Wars theory - Printable Version

+- The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums (https://www.orionsarm.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Offtopics and Extras; Other Cool Stuff (https://www.orionsarm.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Books, Games, Movies, and TV (https://www.orionsarm.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: My "hard sf" Star Wars theory (/showthread.php?tid=2924)

Pages: 1 2

RE: My "hard sf" Star Wars theory - radtech497 - 06-05-2017

I have never liked the concept of "midichlorians," those symbiotic mitochondria-sized Force-sensitive micro-organisms that have infected the cells of Jedi, Sith, and other Force users. Instead, if one is to continue the argument for a biological basis for why some individuals are Force-sensitive while the vast majority are not, I prefer to think of those exceptional individuals as possessing a mutation that alters the shape of their DNA into a sort of dipole antenna that is "tuned" to receive the Force (some mutations are better able to receive that energy than others); this can "explain" how Force sensitivity can be inherited, while "midichlorian" infection seems a bit more random (as well as being likely to affect populations living in geographical proximity). All of this presumes, of course, that there is some "signal" to be received. Which brings us back to metaphysics.

Radtech497

RE: My "hard sf" Star Wars theory - AmrlKJaneway - 06-05-2017

(06-05-2017, 12:37 PM)radtech497 Wrote: I have never liked the concept of "midichlorians," those symbiotic mitochondria-sized Force-sensitive micro-organisms that have infected the cells of Jedi, Sith, and other Force users. Instead, if one is to continue the argument for a biological basis for why some individuals are Force-sensitive while the vast majority are not, I prefer to think of those exceptional individuals as possessing a mutation that alters the shape of their DNA into a sort of dipole antenna that is "tuned" to receive the Force (some mutations are better able to receive that energy than others); this can "explain" how Force sensitivity can be inherited, while "midichlorian" infection seems a bit more random (as well as being likely to affect populations living in geographical proximity). All of this presumes, of course, that there is some "signal" to be received. Which brings us back to metaphysics.

Radtech497

Metaphysics is fine for the force. And I like your idea a lot more than the midichlorian one.

RE: My "hard sf" Star Wars theory - Alphadon - 06-05-2017

This is in no way related to OA but still fun Big Grin

RE: My "hard sf" Star Wars theory - Rhea47 - 06-14-2017

Star Wars probably has some of the fastest ships in sci-fi. The canon of only 2c speed as far as I'm concerned is retcon at this point. In Star Wars Legends materials they realize this is too slow and straight up say hyperspeed is thousands of times faster then the speed of light.

RE: My "hard sf" Star Wars theory - Drashner1 - 06-14-2017

(06-14-2017, 07:41 AM)Rhea47 Wrote: Star Wars probably has some of the fastest ships in sci-fi. The canon of only 2c speed as far as I'm concerned is retcon at this point. In Star Wars Legends materials they realize this is too slow and straight up say hyperspeed is thousands of times faster then the speed of light.

It would have to be even faster than that probably. Many interstellar ships in the SW universe (particularly episodes 1-3) seem to be about the size of a large car or small plane. Unless the pilots are going into some sort of stasis for the trip, that means that they are cross interstellar distances in a matter of hours. Also, it seems (based on my admittedly limited experience with the franchise) that people will travel clear across the galaxy from one star system to the next.

Put all this together and that implies speeds that can let you get around the entire galaxy in timeframes comparable to how we in RL get around this planet - so almost anywhere in about 24hrs maybe (and usually a lot less).

Todd

RE: My "hard sf" Star Wars theory - radtech497 - 06-14-2017

The Millennium Falcon is said to go about 25,000 light-years per day (9,131,250 c).

Radtech497

RE: My "hard sf" Star Wars theory - Rhea47 - 06-14-2017

(06-14-2017, 08:23 AM)Drashner1 Wrote:
(06-14-2017, 07:41 AM)Rhea47 Wrote: Star Wars probably has some of the fastest ships in sci-fi. The canon of only 2c speed as far as I'm concerned is retcon at this point. In Star Wars Legends materials they realize this is too slow and straight up say hyperspeed is thousands of times faster then the speed of light.

It would have to be even faster than that probably. Many interstellar ships in the SW universe (particularly episodes 1-3) seem to be about the size of a large car or small plane. Unless the pilots are going into some sort of stasis for the trip, that means that they are cross interstellar distances in a matter of hours. Also, it seems (based on my admittedly limited experience with the franchise) that people will travel clear across the galaxy from one star system to the next.

Put all this together and that implies speeds that can let you get around the entire galaxy in timeframes comparable to how we in RL get around this planet - so almost anywhere in about 24hrs maybe (and usually a lot less).

Todd

Their ships are powered by love and pure undiluted Deus Ex Machina.

RE: My "hard sf" Star Wars theory - Alphadon - 06-20-2017

Or not, given that it's never really used as an anticlimactic method of resolving conflict. Or did you forget what Deus ex Machina means? And "point five past light speed" never meant 1.5c, any more than beamriders are propelled by sliding down banisters. Semantics is a poor method of analysis.
</discwuzit>