The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums
Safe Acension for Baseline Bob - Printable Version

+- The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums (https://www.orionsarm.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Landing Site (https://www.orionsarm.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: The Arrivals Lounge (https://www.orionsarm.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+--- Thread: Safe Acension for Baseline Bob (/showthread.php?tid=2134)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Safe Acension for Baseline Bob - QwertyYerty - 05-06-2016

(05-06-2016, 08:56 PM)QueElEs Wrote:
(05-06-2016, 02:48 PM)QwertyYerty Wrote: Just curious, since the US presidential elections are coming up (and some European elections), if you could vote for any ascended post- biont (S1 maximum) for a position, who would that be, why, and what government position would you want them to have (elected or not)?

(Sorry if this isn't the right thread to post this, I figured that since this thread has become all about post- bionts and Transapients in general (especially S1s), I figured I'd post something light that fit into that theme. Smile

Your student (and post- biont wanna- be),

Qwerty Yerty

In the setting, we have there being over ten trillion sophonts of the first toposophic or above - I think that's a bit too much choice for me!

Do you got an example of a post- biont you would like?

RE: Safe Acension for Baseline Bob - Rynn - 05-06-2016

(05-06-2016, 10:25 PM)QueElEs Wrote: What is the transapient's position on Brexit? Big Grin

A transapient would likely render the discussion, and many others, moot. A transap could quickly become the best government and civil service this world has ever seen. The majority of existing governments, business and other social organisations would likely fade away as the transap replaces their function much more effectively all by itself.

RE: Safe Acension for Baseline Bob - QueElEs - 05-07-2016

(05-06-2016, 11:21 PM)QwertyYerty Wrote: Do you got an example of a post- biont you would like?

Is the Blessed One (http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/460e7b81c869e) a post-biont?

(05-06-2016, 11:52 PM)Rynn Wrote:
(05-06-2016, 10:25 PM)QueElEs Wrote: What is the transapient's position on Brexit? Big Grin

A transapient would likely render the discussion, and many others, moot. A transap could quickly become the best government and civil service this world has ever seen. The majority of existing governments, business and other social organisations would likely fade away as the transap replaces their function much more effectively all by itself.

If they had the mandate - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandate_(politics)

RE: Safe Acension for Baseline Bob - Achaz the Transavant - 05-08-2016

There is something I don't understand : why is there any risk from Ascension to begin with ? Huh
Why not make backup copies so if an Ascension-Seeker is destroyed/become a Blight/ or even transcend a new being without continuity with his old self; the transapient overseer can reload a version saved before the whole process or a stable transavant build ?

RE: Safe Acension for Baseline Bob - Rynn - 05-09-2016

(05-08-2016, 07:38 AM)Achaz the Transavant Wrote: There is something I don't understand : why is there any risk from Ascension to begin with ? Huh
Why not make backup copies so if an Ascension-Seeker is destroyed/become a Blight/ or even transcend a new being without continuity with his old self; the transapient overseer can reload a version saved before the whole process or a stable transavant build ?

If the process if overseen by an entity one S-level above the target then it will be fine no matter what. E.g: an S2 entity overseeing a modosophont rise to S1. The problems come when there is no higher entity, when an ascension is attempted to match or exceed everyone involved. In that case the issue is:

1) How can a third party evaluate the health of an entity that is beyond them? E.g. A team of modosophonts trying to evaluate an S1?

2) How can a third party stop a perversion/blight if it is above them? Even being equal it could be a challenge, especially if the new entity is extremely capable in self-defence.

RE: Safe Acension for Baseline Bob - Drashner1 - 05-09-2016

(05-08-2016, 07:38 AM)Achaz the Transavant Wrote: There is something I don't understand : why is there any risk from Ascension to begin with ? Huh

Couple of issues here - these aren't an 'all the time' thing, but they are a risk:

1) Backups are constantly updated - presumably there is a point, even in societies that consider the backup to = the original, after which there is so much divergence that they are long the same person. So the backups are constantly updated or updated regularly in some fashion.

If a sophont ascends to an S1 (for example), and it then takes a while for it to become apparent that things have gone off the rails - then the new being will have updated (and presumably overwritten) their previous backup and so the original is now effectively gone and you're stuck with the 'gone wrong' ascended being.

As mentioned above, you could certainly hold a separate backup copy somewhere isolated from the ascended - but at what point is it no longer considered the same person? This may vary from place to place.

2) A really back Blight/Perversion may cause so much damage that it destroys the Backups of not only its prior self but everyone else along with causing much destruction all around. So the original is killed regardless.

Both of these are more likely to be issues without transapient oversight of ascension, which is apparently fairly common. Blights, etc. are rare in the OA verse. But those that slip through tend to make an impression.

Todd

RE: Safe Acension for Baseline Bob - QwertyYerty - 05-14-2016

I know that modos become upgraded with technology and mentally trained over time to ascend, but what are some of the early upgrades at the beginning of this process?