The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Astronomers may have found giant alien 'megastructures' orbiting star near the Milky
Still, given that, frankly, the possibility of it being artificial is staggeringly small, perhaps we should write it into the EG as an example of early failures in the search for xenosophonts.

My lifelong goal: To add "near" to my "baseline" classification.

Lucid dreaming: Because who says baseline computronium can't run virches?
(accidental double post, please remove)

My lifelong goal: To add "near" to my "baseline" classification.

Lucid dreaming: Because who says baseline computronium can't run virches?
Although the greatest likelihood is that natural causes will be found to be the explanation for the peculiarities of KIC 8462852, an EG entry published before a definitive answer is officially announced would be unwise, IMO. Just in case.

Radtech497
"I'd much rather see you on my side, than scattered into... atoms." Ming the Merciless, Ruler of the Universe
It could be included right now if it's described as a zeno mega-engineering joke intentionally designed to confuse observers. The details would have be be vague enough so as to avoid contradicting future discoveries, of course.
Selden
There seems to be a new dip going on. If so, it would rule out the Super-Saturn-plus-Trojans model
See https://www.reddit.com/r/KIC8462852/
SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS
My first thought was 'super-Saturn', when I first heard about the lightcurve
(the quick advent and slow fade suggests a large ring system seen at one end only).

But there seems to be far too many dips for a simple model like that. How dense could a cloud of Trojan asteroids be, anyway?
It ain't aliens:
https://www.inverse.com/article/36239-ta...62852-nasa
SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS