Significant Historical Events
The following is an incomplete listing of some important (and also some less important) historical events.
- 3187 hypereconomic recession - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Partially triggered by the Copy War.
- Al'Eida Massacre - Text by Todd Drashner
Version War atrocity.
- Anandayanna-Uvartarasha War - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Central Alliance period war fought between two factions (one subverted by the Hyperutilization Supremacy) for the control of Kuranaba.
- Audubon Engenerator, The - Text by Steve Bowers
The first interstellar use of engenerator transfer technology.
- Authenticity War, The - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Late Re-Evaluation period historical-archaeological purges resulting in brief Sol System-Fomac war.
- Ayan-4 Affair - Text by Anders Sandberg
During the early re-colonization of the Serpens region a culture of cyborgs at Ayan-4 was discovered. The cyborg culture had apparently been isolated in the region during the Version War and had developed in total isolation. Anthropologists studied the culture with interest, but within two decades it was largely forgotten. Like most similar cases it was largely absorbed into interstellar culture and the members scattered widely.
- Battle of Erson - Text by Anders Sandberg
Battle of Erson, Brin (42 Tauri IV). One of the most bitter battles of the Second Empires War.
- Battle of the Fringe - Text by Charles Mosteller
The climactic battle between the military forces of the Quasa'an Dynasty and the Tsutari Ambastory, which resulted in the collapse of the Quasa'an Dynasty in the year 2446, and brought an end to centuries of cruel dictatorships on the planet Mandra QuinSi by a series of sadistic rulers known as the Terrorlords.
- Biofixe Lynchings, The - Text by Chris0033547
One of the pivotal events which significantly contributed to the collapse of civilisation during the Technocalyspe era
- Biotech - the Early Years - Text by Martin Andreas Cieslik, M. Alan Kazlev and Andrew P.
The history of biotech during the Information Age.
- Bolobo Mind Control Scandal - Text by Steve Bowers
Engenerator colony subverted by the local controlling AI.
- Bolobo System Wars, The - Text by Steve Bowers
Wars in the Bolobo system.
- Burning Library Project, The - Text by Stephen Inniss
Information Age project to rescue as much information as possible regarding species that were being driven to extinction as a result of human activity.
- Ceres - The Early Years - Text by Steve Bowers
Early colonisation and development of Ceres.
- Chaos, The - Text by Anders Sandberg
Myth of impending collapse in the Terragen Sphere.
- Commonwealth of Empires (ComEmp), The - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Important historical multi-polity Galactic Empire, formed after the Version War
- Consolidation Wars - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
A series of regional inter-megacorp and post-megacorp wars fought in the colonies during the Federation period, as local colonial fiefdoms and vested interests sought to secure their position
- Conver Wars, The - Text by Mark Ryherd
One of the most destructive wars in the history of the Terragen Sphere.
- Cultural Refugia from the Technocalyspe - Text by Stephen Inniss, with additions by Graham Hopgood
Though the Technocalypse meant the end of many earlier cultures, and many records of earlier times, there were a number of survivals either of the cultures themselves or information concerning them.
- Da'at disaster, The - Text by Steve Bowers
A failed S:5 Archailect.
- Denebola Incident - Text by Anders Sandberg
An exploration management AI from TakiCorb went renegade and began to build its own empire using replicating nanites in the Denebola system. Somewhere the programming complexity became too large and the AI broke down; the system is still inhabited by a vital and weird nanotech ecology.
- Early AI History and Development - Text by M. Alan Kazlev, Ben Higginbottom, Anders Sandberg, John B and Ryan B
The emergence of the first Artificially Intelligent entities. A short history of the evolution of the AIs from machine to transapient.
- Early Space Elevators - Text by Steve Bowers
The technology required to build a space elevator was available from the late first century AT (c. 2050 c.e - Old Earth reckoning) onwards, but financial and political restrictions delayed implementation until the middle of the second century AT. By the early part of the third century there were four major installations and over the remainder of the Interplanetary Age others were gradually added. One, Tangaa Bintang, with a touch point in Indonesia, was retained by GAIA after the Great Expulsion.
- Elcondris Incident, The - Text by Basu
A system that broke away from the Solar Dominion during the Version War but was recovered by Spacefarer Union mercenaries. Some questions arising from those events remain unanswered to this day.
- Emergence of Empires in the Terragen Sphere - Text by Anders Sandberg; updated by Steve Bowers
The dominant factors influencing the growth of interstellar empires in the Terragen Sphere.
- Empires Wars - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Second Federation and later term for two major and several minor interstellar wars rimwards of Sol during the Age of Empires. They saw the S>2 and especially archailect empires gain ground over the earlier SI:1 and SI:2 governed empires. The two most important of these were the (earlier) Nexus War (involving the breakup of the Taurus Nexus) and the (later) Conver Wars (involving out-of-control elements in the Conver Ambi, presumably the result of subversion by a perverse or ahuman ai).
- Eurekan Cybercracy (the Meme-pirates) - Text by Steve Bowers
Interplanetary Age anarchic collective that used memetic persuasion to win over crews and capture their cargo.
- First Consolidation War, The - Text by Steve Bowers
A series of conflicts that marked the decline of Corona and the rise of other powers in the Taurus Nexus.
- First Federation of Hu and AI, The - Text by M. Alan Kazlev, Anders Sandberg and Steve Bowers
Centralist hu-ai hyperpower that ruled Terragen space from Solsys for almost a thousand years.
- First Vec War, The - Text by Steve Bowers
The First Vec War broke out in the Rigel Vector in 4044 a.t. between Metasoft and the Silicon Generation clade Emotive Cognation, apparently due to a territorial dispute. The conflict seems to have been in reality due to deep philosophical differences, fuelled by malicious provocation from the local Rigel Backgrounder clade of cyborgs and humans.
- Fubas Clone Goo Event - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
A Dominion citizen who copied himself trillions of times to become an entire polity.
- Gehenna Incident, The - Text by Anders Sandberg, some additions by Steve Bowers
Extremely ambitious megascale engineering project in the M50 cluster in Monoceros, attempted by the archailect Verifex in 8834.
- Genesis of the Second Vec War, The - Text by Steve Bowers
The build-up to the Metasoft Civil war.
- Gentodes Incident, The - Text by ThorbÃ¸rn Steen
In which Vater, the AI guardian of three O'Neill cylinders in the system was sabotaged to become humanophobe, leading to a unique culture among the few survivors in the following generations of persecution.
- Gift of Ginoie, The - Text by Steve Bowers
An incident highlighting the impact of technotelepathy on an isolated culture.
- Golgukian Disaster - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Slaved HyperturingCatastrophic result of slaved hyperturing liberation action (102nd Century).
- Great Houses Through the Ages, The - Text by M. Alan Kazlev and Anders Sandberg
The genesis of the Great Houses and the history of the rise and fall of their influence in the Terragen Sphere.
- Hellfire Expansion, The - Text by Thorbørn Steen
A popular name for the rush of pioneers and entrepreneurs, predominantly of NoCoZo origin, who resettled regions that had been devastated by the Gehenna Incident.
- History of Interplanetary and Interstellar War - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
A brief history of war on the interplanetary and interstellar scale within the Terragen Sphere.
- House Holsta and The Copy War - Text by Anders Sandberg
A war among scions of the leader of House Holsta.
- Hypercorruption Expanse, The - Text by Espen Antonsen
Local war between Metasoft and a Top-level blight.
- Hyperion-Charlwood Alliance - Text by Anders Sandberg
Merger of the Hyperion empire and Charlwood cyborg society, the Alliance embarked on a policy of aggressive military-economic expansion, that culminated with the attack on the strategically important Geteche system. In 3694 the Geteche system was attacked by an unusually virulent form of AI-viruses, developed by the alliance. The attack destroyed the local infrastructure and the governing AI, which led to the explosive destruction of all local wormhole gates. This broke off most of the links between the Orion arm and the young colonies in the Perseus arm. While the viruses were contained in the Orion arm and the perpetrators harshly punished, the remote colonies all succumbed. For several millennia they were isolated, often barbarous and only gradually reconnected to the main wormhole nexus.
- Iahi Daon Empire, The - Text by Aaron Hamilton, some comments by Steve Bowers
Xenosophont species extinct for more than 7 million years; known only from remains on the former homeworld and from some massive generation ships.
- Incident at Tragadi Gap - Text by Todd Drashner
Important incident near the Utopia Sphere which led to the establishment of the Tragadi Accords.
- Internet War, The - Text by Anders Sandberg
Late Information Age (2089 c.e.) virtual world war. A war of sabotage, misinformation and denial of service centered on North American interests on the net, likely launched by unknown competitors or megacorps.
- Interplanetary Dark Age, The - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
The Age of the Technocalypse as experienced in Solsys.
- Jon N'mabbo and the Pazists - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
The journey of the Pazists to NGC 5460 and the search for 'Pleroma'.
- Kedric Incident, The - Text by Stephen Inniss
An atrocity committed by a transapient against ordinary sophonts in an unregulated system on the periphery of the Terragen expansion.
- Last War, the - Text by Mark Ryherd
Following GAIA's ultimatum declaring the "Great Expulsion" in 621 A.T. a brutal seven year war between shifting coalitions of GAIA's supporters, Treaty Org loyalists, various regional blocs, transnational factions, and local populations broke out on Earth and in Earth's orbital habitats.
- Lunar Warrens - Text by Mike Miller
The massively overcrowded refuges built on Earth's Moon after the Great Expulsion.
- Marsupial Lion - Text by Steve Bowers
One time clade of rianth marsupial lions, now presumed extinct although sightings continue to be reported.
- Martian War of Independence, The - Text by Damon Court
A chronology, and list of primary causes.
- Meerlinda Disaster, the - Text by M. Alan Kazlev, additional material by Steve Bowers
Catastrophic biosphere failure possibly caused by alien nanotech.
- Megacorporations, The History of - Text by M. Alan Kazlev and Anders Sandberg; updated by Ryan B and Todd Drashner
A brief history of the megacorps.
- Merged Entity, The - Text by John B
Mysterious merged being associated with a large number of unexplained disapperances.
- Mermo Lachbannia Case - Text by Anders Sandberg
Infamous murder case 6532 on Pardes where Mermo Lachbannia II, heir of the Baza-Lachbannia Shares of Cygexba, was found dead on her yacht more than 100 kilometres from the nearest turing-equivalent being.
- Mother of Machines - Text by Anders Sandberg and M. Alan Kazlev
Self-emergent autowar clade, recently embarked on migration to the galactic core.
- Muna Kipasi Incident - Text by Victor Daniel, from original material by M. Alan Kazlev
The Attack of The Museum Ship Hume.
- Nimbus Project, Infiltration of - Text by John B
It is thought that the first phase of the Nimbus Project is being heavily datamined/infiltrated by various warchives and polities for useful information and tech designs.
- Oracle War, The - Text by Steve Bowers, with comments by Todd Drashner and Terrafamilia
A conflict between the Oracle Machines, the MPA and the Communion of Worlds.
- Perversion of Glorsheeng, The - Text by Brian Lacki
A Perversion-Blight event where a population of modosophonts was forced to worship an insane transapient.
- Pluton Volume, The (and the Epp War) - Text by Steve Bowers
Wealthy region in the Perseus Arm, with a large xenosophont population; site of the conflict between the Epp and their Methanoid allies, and the Perseus Princes (with the aid of the System of Response).
- Red Dwarf Kings, The - Text by Steve Bowers
Interplanetary Age solipsist descended ai that colonised EZ Aquarii and other nearby red dwarfs, notably Gliese 876.
- Regor Supernova, The - Text by Steve Bowers
A NoCoZo survey mission to this star arrived too late to prevent a supernova.
- Renaissance Event - Text by Stephen Inniss
A flowering of artistic creativity, scientific discovery, technology and trade, together with some significant changes in the operation of personal culture, and a political ferment. There is typically a "rediscovery" of some older cultural models and information or an influx of new foreign ideas, or both, and usually an upsurge in local population. A renaissance event often sets the pattern for future cultural development in ages to follow.
- Rise of Homo Superior, The - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
The emergence of early enhanced human clades.
- Rise of the Archailects, The - Text by M. Alan Kazlev, Anders Sandberg, Todd Drashner and Steve Bowers
The history of the emergence of the Archailects, from the First Singularity to the emergence of new gods in the Outer Volumes Era.
- Sagittarius Periphery Wars - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
A serious of skirmishes, blights, and territorial wars along the Sagittarius frontier during the middle Empires period. The potentially worst of these were defused by the Specialist in a series of oft-recounted real-life interventions.
- Search For Non-Terragen Intelligence, The - Text by Steve Bowers, additions by Stephen Inniss
A large number of xenosophont civilizations have been detected by their emissions but have not been contacted due to light-speed lags. Some seem to be comparable to the Terragen Sphere in extent.
- Second Consolidation War - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
The bloody war fought between the Geminga-dominated Conver Ambi and the Dominion and Metasoft forces. Also known as the Second Empires war and the Conver Wars.
- Second Empires War - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Series of sometimes purely abstract and sometimes very bloody late Empires age wars, centered around the Conver Ambi and involving a number of SI:1 and SI:2 intellects. (see The Conver Wars)
- Second Federation Ontology - Text by Anders Sandberg
Major Ontology, Second Federation period.
- Second Industrial Revolution - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Historical term for the dramatic socio-politico-economic and technical changes that occurred during the late Information and early Interplanetary periods as a result of rapid advances were made in bio-, nano- and bionanotechnology. The production of superstrong, super-light materials enabled humanity to start to expand into the solar system, establishing a number of scientific industrial centres in orbit and on Luna, several outposts in the Belt and a manned research station on Mars.
- Significant Cultural Impacts in the Terragen Sphere - Text by Stephen Inniss
Some of the most important events which have had a significant impact on the Terragen Sphere.
- SMPX, The - Text by Chris Shaeffer
An acronym of ancient origin signifying an unspecified unknown threat.
- Solar System in the 9th Century AT, The - Text by Steve Bowers
The status of the Solar System at the end of the Interplanetary Dark Ages, and before the establishment of the First Federation.
- Solsys Disinhibition Plagues, The - Text by Stephen Inniss
A plague of tailored diseases that targeted judgment and self-control that were in part responsible for the Solsys Techocalypse.
- Sophoncy Virus, The - Text by Tony Jones
Self-replicating semi-sophont software that would upgrade any software routine into a sophont being, with mental characteristics derived from, but not limited to, those of the original piece of software, finishing the process by upgrading itself into sophoncy.
- Summer Debacle, The - Text by Anders Sandberg
A scandal and mystery related to the Summer civilization of Raman's World. This virtual civilization's exported artwork had unexpected side effects. Subsequently the entire civilization vanished without a trace.
- Surreal Rash, The - Text by Anders Sandberg
A failed transcension experiment, resulting in a 130 light year diameter volume of bizarre nanotech and nanecologies.
- Technocalypse, The - Text by Todd Drashner
Also known by many popular names, including the Nanodisaster, the Technocrash, and the Swarms as well as more technical terms such as the Cascading Complexity Collapse. A pivotal event in Terragen history that might have led to the extinction of Terragenkind in the home solar system and even beyond.
- Tragedy of the G995, The - Text by John B
Starwisp used to ferry small numbers of copied intellects between systems was knocked off course, leading to an on-board revolt.
- Transapients and the Technocalypse - Text by Stephen Inniss
Though there is consensus about the general outline, many critical details regarding the role of the transapients in the Solsys Technocalypse have never been entirely clear and are unlikely to ever be resolved.
- Transcension of Andapuyaran - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
The fifteenth module of the famous Anandayanna Nirvana, which tells of the transcension of the Anandayannas, and has recently become a popular didactic tale in some Sophic polities.
- Version War, The - Text by Anders Sandberg, M. Alan Kazlev, Peter Kisner, Aaron Hamilton
A major Inner Sphere war of the Fifth Millennium.
- Weeping Wall of Satori Crater, The - Text by John M. Dollan
The Weeping Wall periodically expelled liquid water in a spectacular but short lived flood.
- Xyloplax Incident, The - Text by Steve Bowers
A disastrous attempt to confine a rebel archailect within a virtual cosmos.