|The Total Mass Retain, a Reactionless Drive vessel obtained by Helda's Heroes - a fortunate group of Transcension Chasers - after the Newton Mass Transcendance event|
Individuals or groups, very often modosophonts, but sometimes transapient entities, who spend their lives chasing Ascension and Transcension Events.
Ascension/transcension chasers can attempt to benefit from these events in several ways;
The most successful ascension/transcension chasers are those who have access to fast interstellar spacecraft and to reliable intelligence about impending ascenscion/transcension events. Successful chasers might be rewarded with useful data in the field of toposophy or archailectology, or valuable clarketech or other resources. Unlucky chasers could encounter a newly-formed transcendence blight.
- some might benefit from a study of the various processes associated with the act of ascension/transcension, and the risks and benefits of those processes;
- some might benefit from the newly ascended transapient, and from the transformations in society and technology that such an event brings;
- and some might benefit from the discarded remnants of a transcension which leaves behind abandoned infrastructure and unwanted items that are no longer valued by the new entity or entities. This happens relatively often in cases of mass ascension/transcension.
Overheard regarding some human nearbaseline transcension chasers:
They go around wearing these holographic T-shirts which play a little movie of the latest big transcendence they recorded, you know, an "I was There when the Croupe-Ngame B MicroCluster made the Big Exponential" They hold conventions, swap collectibles, show off their artifacts, that sort of thing...
- Ascension Problem - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
When the average proportion per sapient of a population is ascending or transcending at a rate faster than the economy or infrastructure can support.
- Godchasers, Godwatchers
- Newton and the Newton Mass Transcendance
- Transaturation Ascension
- Transcend-Ascend - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
One who transcends to one toposophic, then ascends to the next. For example an intelligence may transcend to SI:1, leaving behind everything of itself that was of SI:<1. Then e may ascend to S2, retaining eir SI:1 nature but adding an S2 superstructure on top of the SI:1 nature. Contrast ascend-transcend. Often however the dividing lines are not this well defined.
- Transcendence Blights and Perversities
- Transcendent Being - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
An entity that is distinct from physical existence, whether considered ontologically, as a supernatural or supraphysical being, or soteriologically, as a being that is no longer a part of embodied existence or samsara. The existence of a transcendent being or beings (e.g. God, Buddhas, etc.) is central to many religious memeticities, but denied by physicalist memeticities.
- Transcension Alert
- Transcension Prediction - Text by Anders Sandberg and M. Alan Kazlev
Given the huge population of the civilized galaxy, and the fact that ascensions and transcensions are moderately common and have been going on for thousands of years, many polities and civilizations have developed some fairly reliable methods for predicting the onset of one of these events. Often this is comparable to pre- and post-singularity efforts at predicting the weather (and a large transcendence event does indeed share some conceptual characteristics with a force of nature to those watching from outside at a lower S level).
- Transcension Virus